Shifter adjustment.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, next question.

My shifter seems to be out of adjustment.

I don't mean the indicator, I mean the mechanism. The indicator is naturally not exactly in the right place, because the mechanism is not in the right place. LOL

The problems. It is difficult to get actually into gear. It's like I can get it to settle into place, but it easily pops out, sometimes.

If I have 4wd engaged, 4hi, keeps popping out of gear. 4lo, stays in gear, no problem. Never pops out.

Backup lights are on, when it is in park, but not when backing up.

I am thinking this is going to be fairly easy to fix. But I don't have a clue about it yet. Figured I'd come in here and ask, BEFORE I start poking around, and mess something up. LOL

I have searched and found nothing here. Is there some sort of pictorial type guide here, that show all of the shifting mechanisms from the shift lever, all the way down, to the trans. And how to adjust them?

It's an 89 f250 7.3idi with C6.

Thank you, in advance.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have a lot of rust in the cab mounts underneath?

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have a lot of rust in the cab mounts underneath?
I have no idea.

Like I said, I haven't even begun to try to figure it out. I don't have a manual, and I'd like some idea of what I am looking at, before I start. :) Is there a pictorial? Or at least an exploded diagram?

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 4 wd lever is bolted onto the tranny and is hooked straight to the transfer case. You had better crawl under there and look to see that everything is bolted solid to whatever holds it. Check that the link to the transfer case is solid.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
While you're under there, look at the linkages coming off of your transmission going over to the driver's side of the frame. I believe that there is an adjustment there. I believe all you have to do is loosen a nut, move the linkage and tighten the nut back up.

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, crawled under and checked everything. Everything is tight. I'm thinking there must be some detents up in the steering shaft somewhere that are worn out.

Without some sort of guide or pictures... It's impossible to know, and not a good idea to just start tearing things apart.

Found this, though...
You must be registered for see images attach

You can see the bottom bolt is completely missing.

The top bolt wasn't even finger tight.

Put a new bolt in the bottom. Put the truck in neutral, slid a pin all the way through the hole. Tightened the bolts. Removed pin...

Still no backup light. Not in park. Not in reverse. Not in ANY position, or even between any positions.

Plus, the truck starts in park, but will not start in neutral unless I jiggle the shift lever around. (I never tried to start it in neutral, before. It has always started just fine in park. So I have no idea if that is new or not.)

I'm thinking bad NSS. Considering just doing a toggle switch on the dash for backup lights, for now. Do it right, later, when a new NSS is in the budget.

The green arrow... I am assuming that is linkage for some sort of downshift linkage or something that is supposed to go up to the top of the engine, somewhere, right?

I bought this truck from a kid. Finding not only a lot of things done wrong, and/or broken. But a lot of parts actually missing!