Semi interesting experiment

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I had a spare mechanical temp gauge laying around and was curious after a long trip of how much my oil going through my 12 feet of braided hose was cooling off by the time it re enters the engine at the filler neck.

On the output side of my filter base I put a T and faced top of the T to the bottom so the oil would have to go over the sender as it passed through the T and hooked everything back up. Even today in mid 60's weather after an hour of driving through the hills, the oil is here:

You must be registered for see images attach

160 doesn't seem too bad. I don't know what the regular oil is, but water temp at the overtemp sender port is 185 at the same time. I got a gauge with a longer sender so I can move it over to where I can actually see it by my other gauges. I might keep a gauge like this in the truck (though that will be 6 gauges now, getting crowded)

Just figured I'd post it up in case anyone found it interesting. I can post a picture of the bypass system and how it's routed (poorly) if anyone wants to see. Neat second function of a bypass system though. Mine just doesn't flow crazy fast cause I put a .045 (or .45?) turbo oil line restrictor in it to make sure my main oil pressure stays the same.

I guess it would be more factual if I knew what the temp of the oil in the pan was, but I don't have room for 7 gauges lol

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please post pics of the setup, sounds neat.

Is it a bypass filter or one of those rotary ones?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
My oil temp sender is located in the oil pan. I normally see temps about 10 to 15 degrees above the coolant temps. So my oil runs about 200 to 220.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got the new gauge in its permanent spot tonight. I'll post a couple of pictures tomorrow of where the sender is located and whatnot.

Basically I ran 6ft of braided hose to a Baldwin filter base to a secondary bypass oil filter and on the output side of the base is where the oil temp sender is located. The oil goes 4 more feet into the filler neck then and back into the system.

The hottest tonight I got it after almost two hours of driving between errands and bowling (poorly, I'm a good bowler and tonight I was awful) was 165.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmustang1965

Members online