Sealing Turbo Up Pipe

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Alright, we've noticed the up pipe on my moms factory turbo system doesnt seal very well after we pulled it apart and had to sand the inside of the slip joint out to get it back on. It seems to blow smoke out of that joint and its audibly louder. Do you guys use that permatex exhaust sealer on that joint or what do you do? Im talking about that copper looking stuff.
Or do you just hope and pray that some day a couple years down the road the pipe seals itself back up after swelling and contracting so many times.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
You may have luck with exhaust assembly paste. Make sure to apply it only to the male pipe piece so the excess rolls back off the pipe and not up into the pipe. you don't want anything getting sucked into the turbo.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
google stove pipe cement. It was the only thing I found that worked on my old used ATS parts.

Ryan

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
does any of this stuff glue the two pieces back together again? I'll be pulling this thing off again to replace these $%*&$(*% head gaskets at some point here. I just dont like it leaking there.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
does any of this stuff glue the two pieces back together again? I'll be pulling this thing off again to replace these $%*&$(*% head gaskets at some point here. I just dont like it leaking there.
the thermal expansion and contraction mixed with the soot will seal it up again. my biggest concern is making sure you can pull it apart again in the near future since you already know you will be going in again shortly.-cuss

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online