Screw ford and the Superduty and the 6.0!!!

mjstef

Big Sky Country....
Reaction score
Got under the hood today to check oil and saw the last time i had the truck in for a flash i forgot to pull the EGR valve plug. I decided to pull the EGR and clean it then leav it unplugged. We'll after about a half hour of cuss words i got the ******* out and see it is stuck partway open. In the process of cleaning it right now. Noticed i was low on anti-freeze and added a fuggin gallon!!!!!! I suppose being the EGR was stuck open that it overheated the damn EGR cooler and now that ******* is leaking!!!! We'll see how soon it takes for the anti-freeze to dissapear again!! The cooler was replaced at 60K and i have 120K on it now so it gotta be the issue. BTW, this EGR valve has only been in for 9K miles!!!!

I have noticed that i had some abnormal tire wear in the front so i jacked the fugger up and low and behold the upper ball joints are fuggin shot!!! They were replaced at 70K!!!!!! Ford put greasable ones in the bottom but used non-greasables in the top!!! Asshats!!!! I ******* em out when the fixed it and they said the tops NEVER cause problems!!! Wish i got that in writing!!!! BTW, my 2000 is still running around Flardy with 180K on it and the ORIGINAL fuggin ball joints!!!! I can't wait to dump this POS and get me a 94-97.................

mjstef

Big Sky Country....
Reaction score
Hate to hear you're having all these issues, I love my '06.

Out of 5 ford trucks this is the biggest POS i have ever had. My 88, 94 idi turbo, 95 PSD were rock solid and never gave me any issues! My 00 was decent but had its days. This 6.0 had 7K in warranty before 70K miles!! That is unacceptable for what they cost!! I have 120K on it now so i eat all the damn repairs!! If the EGR cooler is out of it it will have a Cummins uin it before winter! Don't know where i'm gonna get the ball joints but sure as hell am not gonna put what Ford put in it!!!!

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
Out of 5 ford trucks this is the biggest POS i have ever had. My 88, 94 idi turbo, 95 PSD were rock solid and never gave me any issues! My 00 was decent but had its days. This 6.0 had 7K in warranty before 70K miles!! That is unacceptable for what they cost!! I have 120K on it now so i eat all the damn repairs!! If the EGR cooler is out of it it will have a Cummins uin it before winter! Don't know where i'm gonna get the ball joints but sure as hell am not gonna put what Ford put in it!!!!

Not trying to be smartazz but why didn't you try for a buy back??

Seems you've had your fair share of problems with the 03.

mjstef

Big Sky Country....
Reaction score
Not trying to be smartazz but why didn't you try for a buy back??

Seems you've had your fair share of problems with the 03.

By the time i could have done it it would have cost me over 10K in mileage fees and i couldn't come up with the cash OR the financing at the time. The dealer out here says ALL superduty's from 02 and up will end up needing ball joints by 60-80K miles.............

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
By the time i could have done it it would have cost me over 10K in mileage fees and i couldn't come up with the cash OR the financing at the time. The dealer out here says ALL superduty's from 02 and up will end up needing ball joints by 60-80K miles.............

I understand, just for my knowledge, would the "camper package" be detrimental to the ball joints? Is there an aftermarket ball joint that would do better and last longer??

Just trying to learn, not revel in your misery.

mjstef

Big Sky Country....
Reaction score
I understand, just for my knowledge, would the "camper package" be detrimental to the ball joints? Is there an aftermarket ball joint that would do better and last longer??

Just trying to learn, not revel in your misery.

All the camper package is is a set of swaybars i believe.

If you replace yours put MOOG's in. There the only ones with Grease Zerks in top and bottom. These guys got a kit for under $250

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
If you replace yours put MOOG's in.

When I ran the tire shop (pre-2000) that was all I would let the guys install, MOOG that is. They make some great front end parts and once we put them in, we never saw the car again for the same problem in every case I can remember. We stocked TRW private label stuff for a while and had some pre-mature (might be fitting with the original title :) ) failures. I wouldn't hesitate to put MOOG in anything over OEM, matter of fact, I would recommend it!!!

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
motorcraft offers upper and lower greaseable ball joints, they are the only ones i ever put in

the trucks are prone to frequent ball joint failures, ive had them go out in 30k of driving and its the 99-current trucks that tend to do this, if your 2000 has the originals, your lucky, sounds like you should keep that truck

as for the loss of coolant...if it was an egr cooler when you pulled out the egr valve the soot on it would have been wet on one or both parts of the valve.

pulling the valve out can be tricky if your new to 6.0s, using two pry bars after sliding the valve around in the hole so you can get under both sides works good, and usually take no more then a minute or so.

if the valve was put in 9k miles ago it should be covered under a service part warrenty from your ford dealer, its 2months or 12,000 miles

other then that all your isuses seem to be expected, id love to come up with an egr valve /egr cooler delete kit, but the setup would need to be tuned to not having an EGR valve, other then that it would work flawlessly...

talking only in theory, cuting off exhaust supply to the EGR valve would make it inoperative, but i dont know if a factory tune would run right, as it adjusts fuel as the EGR valve opens and closes accordingly, so driveability concerns might arise

powerboatr

Reaction score
31k on our 06 and zero engine related iussue
sorry to hear your having such things go awry ;Really

gonecamping

Reaction score
I'm thinking about swapping my 04 for an 06 with all of the issues my 04 has experienced. I hope I'm not just starting the whole process over. These Ford Trucks are really sharpe looking it's just my engine hasn't done well.;Sweet