School me on e4od

NTOLERANCE

I'm the cotton swab
Reaction score
I'm moving forward with converting the flying toaster to 4wd

I looked at a late 80's- like 89 7.3 engine e4od trans and transfer case out of an f350

It still bolted together. Still in the frame with radiator and core support. With fuel and power it would run. Likely need some either as the owner said he stopped using it when it wouldn't start and started spraying it.

I'm interested in the trans and t case combo. My van is a 90 with a fresh trans. Can I use the hard parts from this used trans and t case to convert my current trans ?

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1 on the above. None of the stock E4ODs are really stout enough for 3/4 or one ton application, and I would say that anything pre 1996 is the worst of them. If you are going to pull it apart, do a little research and put the good parts into it (upgraded center support bearing, better planetary parts, etc).

NTOLERANCE

I'm the cotton swab
Reaction score
I don't want to use the trans from the donor. I want the tcase and adaptor parts. My 90 e40d is fresh and has some mods done to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gotcha, so you want to convert your freshened/modded and (I am guessing) 2wd E4OD to 4wd using the tailshaft and thus tcase from the donor. That's a great idea, I think you'll have to pull down your current trans apart quite a bit to install the 4wd tail piece, but it's just time and most likely no dollars.

Convert away! I love 4WD diesel vans ;Sweet

NTOLERANCE

I'm the cotton swab
Reaction score
I'm assuming the parts are common that there's no difference in years we're going from an 89 to a 90
I don't have any qualms about disassembling the transmission entirely give me a chance to go through it and make sure everything is up to ***** I have about 25 30,000 miles on the trans no heavy pulling just commuting

kb1jid

Reaction score
Been here done it. Yes the trans has to be pulled all apart last thing to come out of case is the rear output shaft. 2wd and 4wd shafts are different

kuskoal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Prepare for a 100% teardown and rebuild of the case of your choice with the output shaft of your choice!! I did that with the c350 because the previous owner used 4r100 parts in my e4od and wrecked everything internally (you CAN use 4r100 parts, just use all of the rotating parts, no mix and match!)

Its really a fun job and best of luck to ya!

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
I'm assuming the parts are common that there's no difference in years we're going from an 89 to a 90
I don't have any qualms about disassembling the transmission entirely give me a chance to go through it and make sure everything is up to ***** I have about 25 30,000 miles on the trans no heavy pulling just commuting

89 is a mutt year, being the first year. So some parts are unique to that year. Mainly the valve body. The parts that you need will interchange. The output shaft and extension housing is the same for all E4OD's

pastorjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am interested in something like this myself on a 93 van. I will be watching the conversion so take lots of pics! ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88