Rusty but Trusty

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck has been great to me the last 4 years I've owned it, but lately the rust has been getting worse and worse. The salt here hasn't been too friendly.

Below are some photos showing some of this rust. Most of it is just comsmetic, no big deal, but one bit of rust specifically has become a very big nuisance. It is the rust below the trim piece on the drivers door. This has allowed the trim to pull back form the door on the front side where the door opens past the front quarter panel, but with that trim piece pulled away, the trim now catches everytime I go to open the drivers door, which is a huge pain in the ass as I can only open the door about 6 inches from the inside before the trim catches.

There are some other spots too, also shown, such as the rust below the rear windows, and some by the mirror mount on the drivers door.

I want to fix this the best I can without spending a ton. If I have to ignore the rust below the rear windows, I will, no big deal. But I cannot ignore the trim piece on the drivers door any longer. So how would you guys go about fixing this. Again, I don't want to spend a ton as this truck is far from mint condition, I just want it to be functional and not have to worry about the whole body falling apart.
You must be registered for see images attach

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone on here may know the name of the chemical but when sprayed or wiped onto rust it turns it black and stops the rust from continuing further. It doesn't fix the problem but it atops it from becoming worse. My friend brought it to me from a motor coach place he worked at they used it on undersides of motor homes to stop and prevent further rust on frames and metal underneath

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I can get phosphoric acid to stop the rust in those bad areas, but I still need to get that trim stuck back down again. I thought about just some sheetmetal screws, But I feel like that creates more problems than it fixes.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I think there's a glue that holds the trim on.
Also eastwood has some rust solutions products that would work well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it were mine, I would remove the trim. Throw it behind the seat in case the full restoration bug bites you at some later date.

Rolling_slow

Reaction score
I agree with Shadetree. Pop that trim off, fix your little rust situation you got there. After that, tape above the lower paint line and get some cheap bed liner and spray it down. It'll look sharp and help bounce rocks that chip the paint to start that mess.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I agree. I ripped it off the 88 I had.
Be careful with the spray on bedliner. Mainly make sure all traces of rust are gone behind it. Otherwise it'll trap moisture and do damage 10x as fast.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any tips on ripping off the trim? Did you do the whole truck or just the door? And how did it look

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk