RPM guage.

notenuftime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My RPM dial seems to be about 500 RPM behind actual and when sitting at idle its all the way at zero any one got this problem I assume it warn out maybe, how may I go about fixing this.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Try removing the sender and cleaning off the mag pickup. they do collect metal and that makes them stop reading.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a magnet. It reads the threads on the timing gear near the filler neck. Mine did this too once, just taken it out and wipe it off with a towel it probably has gunk on it. Even lightly sand it for two seconds.

I had to use a giant crescent wrench to break mine loose.

notenuftime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a magnet. It reads the threads on the timing gear near the filler neck. Mine did this too once, just taken it out and wipe it off with a towel it probably has gunk on it. Even lightly sand it for two seconds.

I had to use a giant crescent wrench to break mine loose.
Does it have two wires coming out of it big looking nut?.

Chuckmeister

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. I just saw the info on tach problems and will try cleaning. I really appreciate you guys who share your experience and wisdom. I haven't taken the time to really learn how to interact with the web site like thanking contributors but I do appreciate the info and your time. I'm an old tractor guy who got an '89 F250 to haul a trailer and just try to keep it on the road. Having a working tach is nice but not essential. It does work some of the time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online