RPM gauge works sometimes....

IDI_Journeyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello Oil Burners! I have 1985 F-250 with a ATS turbo/ZF5 4x4. My RPM gauge isn't working too well on the dash so I replaced that big 1 inch metal sensor next to where you pour oil with a brand new sensor. didn't seem to help much. I'll drive and the gauge will be dead as a door knob. And sometimes it randomly starts working....and after 4th gear it quits. What are my next options to fix it?

shawn deere

So many wrenches, so little time...
Reaction score
Hello Oil Burners! I have 1985 F-250 with a ATS turbo/ZF5 4x4. My RPM gauge isn't working too well on the dash so I replaced that big 1 inch metal sensor next to where you pour oil with a brand new sensor. didn't seem to help much. I'll drive and the gauge will be dead as a door knob. And sometimes it randomly starts working....and after 4th gear it quits. What are my next options to fix it?
I would check the wiring harness going to that sensor... thats a bummer it didnt fix for you...

IDI_Journeyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know I was super pissed when that didn't fix it. I'll check the wiring harness tonight. Could it be The other plastic connector that plugs into the sensor?

shawn deere

So many wrenches, so little time...
Reaction score
Might need someone shaking down wires while someone watches the gauge. Although there is a fan blade to worry about.............

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unplug and plug the harness conbections. Also look for a burned spot. Often unplugging and replugging will clean them good enough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Staff online