Rough torque converter lock up and weird delay

1994Diesel

Constantly thinking
Reaction score
Rough torque converter lock up and delay

Ok, i did a search before i posted this and i got some what of an answer, but my search left me with some more questions.

When i accelerate in my '94 F-250 I can barely feel my torque converter lock up, but when i am driving and let off the throttle and get back on it, what i think I am feeling is the torque converter lock up and it really jerks the truck around. This rough lock up is worst around 45 to 65 mph. Its not so bad when it happens when i am going slower than 45 mph.

Also, when i start from a stop, i feel a slight shudder and a delay before the truck starts moving. If i give it time to start moving on its own with out my foot on the throttle, and then proceed to apply throttle, it doesnt do this.

Is my torque converter on its last leg? I have no clue if it is stock, is there a way to identify my torque converter?

any input is appreciated
Thanks guys!;Sweet

Last edited:

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
I had problems with my 93, including the shudder. All of my problems were inside the TC.... I believe. Besides the solenoid pack taking a dump on me, I never had E4OD issues in the tranny itself. Only in the TC.

sootman73

Reaction score
factory TC isn't bad on price but its junk. i wish i would have had the money to get a h.p. but i just didn't.

1994Diesel

Constantly thinking
Reaction score
ok, well, i sure hope it doesnt let go soon.

I noticed my tach was bouncing around really low in the rpms, so i think my tach sensor is going out too, maybe there is some relation. I tried cleaning it but it didnt do anything, it still reads really low.

Is there any way to identify the torque converter? mine is blue with no drain plug.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
The converter is aftermarket. The tricky part is no drain plug. It could be a single disk or a multi disk lock up clutch. Stock Ford converters are unpainted and have a drain plug pre 01.

1994Diesel

Constantly thinking
Reaction score
If my torque converter is going out if have two options. One, find a good new torque converter. Or tow, find a ZF5 and do the swap, i have always wanted to do one anyways.

What would be a good company to get a torque converter from? All i know of is ATS and suncoast.

DragRag

Reaction score
I had Kawano's Transmissions do mine in San Jose, very happy. He's buds with Towcat. Being so close to me, and easy to deal with, I wouldn't use another. If my buyer tomorrow doesn't show up, or passes on my CC I have for sale, I will have a complete ZF5 swap set up you can pull from it.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
If my torque converter is going out if have two options. One, find a good new torque converter. Or tow, find a ZF5 and do the swap, i have always wanted to do one anyways.

What would be a good company to get a torque converter from? All i know of is ATS and suncoast.

I will recommend this guy for a good converter. www.racerxautomotive.com ;Sweet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88