Return line rail

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
A more compelling concern to me though is that this doesn't do anything for the primary issue. Generally, the cause of the leaks is old stiff O-rings. This will continue to be a problem regardless of if it's a plastic fitting or metal. If anything I think the rigidity of the metal rail and expansion issues would put more stress on the o-rings and make them more likely to leak. I would also question the surface finish of the o-ring seat in the rail. If this surface is rough, which is may be depending on how it is machined, then I would expect this to also potentially cause shortened o-ring life.

IMHO, the only issue with the plastic return line fittings is damage from external issue - ie you break them working on something else. I could be wrong, but I don't think there's much issues with them spontaneously breaking. Likewise the rubber return lines have a reasonable life expectancy. Yes, it's not infinite, but they last pretty well. Easy and cheap enough to fix as well. Beyond that, you still have the rubber hose to fuel filter, injection pump, and back to the tank to potentially leak.

IMHO, not worth the cost.

My same concerns as well. The Delphi and Diapco kits have served well over the years. Working on them, I only had issues for a short time with a bad batch of caps that had bit of flash that got past the molds creating some trimming and cleaning issues to avoid cutting orings.
Other than that, I see them being less forgiving on aging orings over a straight rail. The rails do look cool tho, but a lot of us run these platforms for their durability and low cost maintenance to operate. Nothing wrong with pushing the envelope for development tho.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If someone came up with a way to do away with the glandular o-ring seal, that would have my attention. There are ways I can see to do it but the problem is needing to thread the fuel line on top.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If someone came up with a way to do away with the glandular o-ring seal, that would have my attention. There are ways I can see to do it but the problem is needing to thread the fuel line on top.

You'd have the modify the injectors them selves. Not an easy task.

Keep in mind too how big of a problem it really is.... yes, the o-ring can cause problems on a 20-30 year old truck.... we tend to forget that that also means they lasted 20-30 years, and if done right a new set will last equally long baring any other issues.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree completely. Realistically there is no need for any of this but you can't discount cool factor right?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sometimes the cool factor takes precedence.
if we didn't have people that came up with this stuff, we wouldn't have companies like CDI and R&D.
even tho its old technology, its always that one guy that wants to hotrod his truck!

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't know about the fuel rail return over the caps and hose that I have in my 92 an 89 engine with only 75K miles on it, but it's still 27 years old with the original 5/16" return fuel system on it. Don't drive it much, but can leave it set for 3 months and still starts in 3 seconds. The lift pump is that old also. Aught to sell the 99 and keep this for another 20 years, hell, I'd only be 118 by then. ;Sweet :D

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One thing i'm wondering about, with the stock setup if you bump a return cap, look at it sideways, or if the day ends with the letter Y, it's damn near guaranteed to leak. I wonder if the rail setup would be a little more forgiving in that department?

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the idea of them I know eventually the o-rings are gonna leak that inevitable but they still going to have a long life and with it being all metal and the braided line option I could see there be a lot less potential air intrusion and fuel leak areas . They also look a lot more appealing in the engine bay compared to the rubber lines a more modern performance type look ;Sweet

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
one issue I see, is cutting the O-rings in install.
with caps ive always slightly turned them to seat the cap.
may take some work, but if you really wanted aluminum return caps,
you could always buy a set of the rails, and cut them up!
tap the hole for NPT, and install a nipple.
then, everyones complaint is a mute point.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I wouldn't say "everyone's complaint."
Just things being pointed out.
If gonna cut them up, might as well go back to ADV'S design. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
one thing ive learned in my 40's with twins...
naps are never turned down lol

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
But if I nap, I won't go to sleep until 0500. Hard enough for me to fall asleep at 0200 most nights. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One thing i'm wondering about, with the stock setup if you bump a return cap, look at it sideways, or if the day ends with the letter Y, it's damn near guaranteed to leak. I wonder if the rail setup would be a little more forgiving in that department?

Depends on what's leaking - if it's rubber line getting hard or the caps themselves, then yes, but I think most leaks are the o-rings which would be just as likely. It also sounds like maybe you have bad luck with them? I've ever had an issue in ~15 years of driving an idi. Admittedly that with new return lines done, but my take away is they're much less of a problem than they're made out to be as long as you have relatively new and good condition lines.