Replacing water pump tomorrow, tips?

Mike_42

Kid Mechanic
Reaction score
Hey all, I got a new water pump for cheap and might as well throw it in.

We plan on doing this tomorrow. I have replaced the water pump in my dads PSD before, never in an IDI. When we did the PSD we used some kind of seal stuff to hold the gasket on while we placed the WP. Any idea what that is or what its called? Should I use it?

Anything I should check for or do in preparation? Also how many gallons of coolant are we looking at here.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pickupman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just did mine not too long ago and I used the aviation permatex on both sides of the paper gasket that comes with the water pump. Seems to have worked very well. Also be sure to use a thread sealant on the top and bottom two bolts.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Don't remember the amount of coolant that's drained when replacing a water pump. The most important thing to do is use the right upper two bolts. There should be two new bolts with your new water pump. Use them. If you didn't get any for some reason, check to see how much they protrude through your old pump and keep the same amount. This is because if they stick through too far, they will rub on your injector pump gear. I've been told that this will put too much pressure on your injector pump and will cause it to fail. I'm not sure, but I think I remember someone on here saying that all of the water pumps today are made the same way. It's always best to be safe and check first. Also on the top two and the bottom two bolts, be sure to use a sealer since they are through bolts. I use rtv. My last thing is that before I install another water pump, I always take a flat file and run it across the sealing surface on the back side of the water pump. You will usually see some imperfections that the file flattens down. I do this because once, I had a big burr on the sealing surface and it leaked after the install. Why do the job twice? You only use light pressure on the file so that you don't remove too much material on one part of the sealing surface. That will just ruin the pump.

Reaction score
Why replace the pump if the one in there is fine? Aftermarket pumps are a crap shoot, even if it's Motorcraft. If it ain't broke, I'd leave it.

That being said, there's a great how to in the sticky threads for this.

Mike

Mike_42

Kid Mechanic
Reaction score
Why replace the pump if the one in there is fine? Aftermarket pumps are a crap shoot, even if it's Motorcraft. If it ain't broke, I'd leave it.

That being said, there's a great how to in the sticky threads for this.

Mike

It is squeaking and I am pretty sure its why im loosing coolant.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been using "1 minute gasket" stuff for everything these days. Works great, never had a problem with it - I've used it for water pumps, rear differential cover gaskets and everything in between. I can't stand waiting for hours for the stuff to set up so that I can use it - with the "1 minute gasket", you just apply a bead, install your part and fill with water/oil. No waiting. https://www.permatex.com/products/g...ers/permatex-the-right-stuff-1-minute-gasket/

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
^ That's my new favorite sealer.
Used it to seal up my tcase, was skeptical at first, but it ain't leaking. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
I'm a die hard old-schooler...........

SHELLAC on all my gaskets (and if you put a smear around the water necks they'll never leak either, even re-using a hose), and the only shellac I use is Indian Head ;Sweet

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
only suggestion I have on top of the above is to put the bolts into the corresponding holes in the new pump as you remove them from the old pump. after demounting the old pump from the motor, move the bolts back over from the new pump to the old pump and reinstall accordingly.

Mike_42

Kid Mechanic
Reaction score
So far we have broken a heavy duty strap wrench trying to get it off... This is normal threads correct? The new pump looks like its reverse.

Mike_42

Kid Mechanic
Reaction score
It's reverse.

That helps a little, but we broke the strap wrench trying in reverse. Tried normal at first and it wasn't working so checked the new pump.

Now that we are on the right track, whats a good method to use?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Well what tools are you using?
Having the correct fan clutch tools makes it easier.
The first time I removed mine on my PSD, I had to use a air hammer. (And I heated it with a plumbers torch) Put it back on with blue loctite. Next go around I was able to use large slip joint pliers.
Far as holding the pulley from turning, I've used a ratchet strap looped around the pulley. Or jamming a pry bar between the pulley and waterpump.

Mike_42

Kid Mechanic
Reaction score
Well what tools are you using?
Having the correct fan clutch tools makes it easier.
The first time I removed mine on my PSD, I had to use a air hammer. (And I heated it with a plumbers torch) Put it back on with blue loctite. Next go around I was able to use large slip joint pliers.
Far as holding the pulley from turning, I've used a ratchet strap looped around the pulley. Or jamming a pry bar between the pulley and waterpump.

Tried using a strap around pulley, but it broke... Going to Harbor Freight for an air hammer.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used the large slip plyers and a strap to hold the pulley. Came off rather easy as I recall. No need for the impact air wrench.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online