Replacing head gaskets

Worstenemy453

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You dont have to but it makes it extremely hard and labor intensive to not do it.

If you are set on not pulling the cab then buy a Top Side Creeper, you will hate life without one.

Also, dont use anything other than OEM gaskets. You might as well replace the oil cooler while youre in there because it will go soon anyway and EGR delete is suggested too.

I can give you a run down on what you will need to buy to do that job. PM me.

Worstenemy453

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will also want to get the heads milled. They are warped. I promise.

Edit #1: Also make sure you drain the coolant and put ELC in it. DO NOT USE FORD STUFF. And you might want to add a coolant filter.

mabc926

Mojo
Reaction score
I do second though only using OEM gaskets from the Ford dealer, and make sure you get the block CLEAN, some people like to use soft cookies, and others use gasket remover, you just brush it on a scrape it off with a plastic putty knife.

Hossidi

Rollin black coal
Reaction score
I'm selling the pos and getting something reliable. Like a gas burner. Every ford diesel I've had I've never been pleased with.

mabc926

Mojo
Reaction score
Yeah, just bullet proof it and you'll be set.

You never said the year of it though, is it an 03?

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
it is obviously going to cost good amt. of money to fix it but how much are you honestly going to get for it in it's current condition. like has been said, these are common issues and once fixed they are very reliable and strong engines.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
I don't know if it is still available on news stands, but in the October 2011 issue of Diesel Power Mag, there is an article titled "Stop Your 6.0L From Failing". they useed Bullet Proof Diesels air-to-oil cooler kit and egr cooler kit.

Don't take this the wrong way but if you don't want a vehicle to have issues right after you buy it then buy new, but even then there are no gaurantees. i feel that a lot of people buy a diesel thinking, "these engines can last forever so that means i can beat the living **** out of it and not worry about any maintinence and nothing will happen". i have yet to see an engine that you can beat the living **** out of and have it be reliable for a long time. the point is people don't take care of these things and then get pissed when they don't work. in another diesel mag that i have there is a picture of a 6.7L cummins and it said that it was found in a junk yard with only 50K miles on it. geuss what, it had 50K miles on the oil. like anything you take care of it and it will last as long as it physically can.

this is not directed towards the OP or anybody else. it is just how i feel.

Now, back to troubleshooting.LOL

Worstenemy453

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bullet Proofs air to oil cooler kit is a complete rip off. Leave the system the way it is, put a new oil cooler kit in it, a coolant filter and get rid of the ****** ford coolant. Less than half the cost of BPD's stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmustang1965

Members online