Replacing hard line from mech fuel pump

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
Now that my HotFox is installed and working, my next project is to plumb my VegTherm Mega.

I was wondering if there was a good reason not to replace at least a portion of the steel lines from the fuel pump up to the fuel filter?

I would do this in order to:

a) be able to plumb in my VegTherm Mega

b) to be able to put a temperature probe before the fuel filter using a three way brass fitting.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i cut mine to add a fuel relay before the pump. i used a spare i had so i can still go back to original. no problems so far.

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
Any reason not to use a run of fuel injection line and brass barb fittings?

I'm going to yank out the oem fuel heater tube too and basically put my vegtherm where it sits. I'm wondering about how the oem heater is powered? Anyone know if it is thermostatically controlled? If so is the thermostat completely internal to this thing? 'acause I was thinking of using it's power line to fire the vegtherm.

subway

Reaction score
Anyone remember the size and gender of the fittings?

if you are talking about the fitting going into and out of the filter head they are 1/4. you have to remove the 90 elbow that has the fitting to go to the hard line.

then i just put a standard 1/4 pipe thread to 3/8 hose barb fitting in.

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
This may become obvious when I remove it but why do I need to remove the 90' elbow?

if you are talking about the fitting going into and out of the filter head they are 1/4. you have to remove the 90 elbow that has the fitting to go to the hard line.

then i just put a standard 1/4 pipe thread to 3/8 hose barb fitting in.

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
because the elbow has pipe threads on the filter side not the fuel line side if that makes any sence you can get a 1/4 brass street elbow at napa if you still want a 90 in that system you are putting together

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
Well, well, well. Results the fitting into the pump itself is IF (inverted flare) geez Louise. I was able to find a 3/8" IF Male to 3/8" hose barb.

Tomorrow going to hit NAPA and see if they have a 3/8" IF to anything NPT because I'd rather have fittings make the 90 degree upwards turn than use hose to do it.

Willie Two

Retired Firefighter
Reaction score
Fuel line fittings

On my 91 the fitting going into the filter is a different size that the fitting going out of the filter. Not the pipe thread side but the " Flare " side of each elbow. Don't know why.............

subway

Reaction score
guess you figured why you had to remove the 90 off the filter head to use the NPT fittings. i am not sure what kind of fittings the hard lines use but it was much easier for me to just remove them and work with regular NPT and bard fittings.

out of curiosity why are you totally replacing the line to the injection pump? are you saving the original hard line? if you are not cutting it another option might be to get a piece of tube, put a flar on it and bend it to fit.

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
I figured it would be easier to put my Vegtherm in with a rubber hose.

Guess I could use part of the hard line if I was willing to cut it - but I'd rather keep the original line around just in case.

I think I'd have a hard time and spend a goodly amount of money having someone bend steel line and do the flare to npt compression fittings for me - using a 3/8" IF make to hose bard is easier anyway....

guess you figured why you had to remove the 90 off the filter head to use the NPT fittings. i am not sure what kind of fittings the hard lines use but it was much easier for me to just remove them and work with regular NPT and bard fittings.

out of curiosity why are you totally replacing the line to the injection pump? are you saving the original hard line? if you are not cutting it another option might be to get a piece of tube, put a flar on it and bend it to fit.

Last edited: