replaced 7.3 injector sleeves, coolant in oil

Ninetysevenps

Reaction score
1997 7.3- I replaced injector sleeves due to fuel in coolant and de gas bottle, when I finished I turned engine over by hand 2 or 3 times to remove oil/fuel from cylinders, it started and ran great but I had coolant overflow from de gas bottle, I let it sit overnight and when I tried to start it the next morning it felt locked-up, I turned the engine by hand again and it started and ran fine again, after only 4-5 minutes I checked the oil and noticed coolant had mixed with the crankcase oil (milky color). I pressurized the coolant system and found no leaks at the top of the new sleeves but I found coolant was leaking/dripping into at least 5 cylinders. I removed the new injector sleeves and noticed I did not get them fully seated into the bottom flange. I understand the compression leaking past the sleeve and into the coolant overflowing the de gas bottle and the coolant leaking back into the cylinders overnight causing the hydro-lock the next morning, but I'm confused about the mixing of coolant with the oil, I'm concerned that when I tried to start it the next morning with it hydro-locked that it blew the head gasket or worse, I don't know if that's possible so my question is how else could the coolant and oil mix due to poorly installed/leaking injector sleeves. I changed the oil cooler seals about 2 months ago and have never had oil-coolant mixture problems before. I would like to know more before I put everything back together. Sorry for the long post but I wanted to give as much info as possible
Thanks for any help or ideas

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Look up a cross sectional cutaway of the cup and all the passages.
You should see that it was just the cups.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
water will wash down the rings fairly easily.

Ninetysevenps

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replys, I'll check the cutaway view of the passages, I want to learn as much as possible, and I never thought about the coolant that leaked into the cylinders the first night I let it sit ending up in the crank case.
I feel better already. I plan on putting it back together this weekend and ill let you know how it turns out.
Thanks for the fast help guys.

Ninetysevenps

Reaction score
I finally finished installing the new cups, I used oem cups, Motorcraft sealant (Motorcraft Gasket Maker spec. WSK-M2G348-A5, it stays flexible) and I made sure the cups were seated completely, the diesel tech at the dealership said they install the new cups then slowly crank the motor two or three revolutions to blow out the fuel, oil and any debris, then install injectors, worked great for me, I put everything back together and it started up in about five minutes, and then I drove it hard for about 15 miles, it runs good but it starts slow, it cranks for about 4-5-6 seconds then starts and runs strong, even when it's warmed up, before I started this project it would start immediately, as soon as I turned the key,
It feels great to have my truck back but I need it to start like before,
Thanks for the previous help and any ideas about the slow starting.