Rebuilding ZF5 - looking for specs/shop

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello! Couple of questions...

First question...does anyone have (or knows where to get to) the rebuild specifications for a ZF S5-42 4x4 application? I've found a few blow-up diagrams on a Google search, but no torque specs, order of disassembly, wear specs, etc.

Second question...the friend who was going to rebuild my tranny for his shop class is having problems with the head of the department at his school, and he may not be able to do the rebuild in his shop. If it comes to this, does anyone have a recommendation for a tranny shop in the S.F. Bay Area? I'm trying not to spend a fortune here, but I'd rather get this tranny rebuilt to as-close-to-perfect specs as possible now than get it "workable" and need to do it again in 5 years. I'm **** enough that (as an example) I want to see the spring-loads in the shift gates working... The good news is that, other than the input shaft, it looks like all of the major components are okay.

Thank you!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess its coming back to visit me. :D yea, I can get you hooked up. Just make sure ALL THE LITTLE PIECES ARE THERE. You can even get a set of headlight doors. After load testing the truck on Sat. and it passes, I will be heading out to TX on Mon or Tues...so word to the wise.... don't lag. ;Sweet

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Warden-
how **** can your wallet afford? I got two quotes....One by a local rebuilder. One from a factory rebuilt ZF supplier. The local is quoting 1k and that includes a new input shaft and 4th gear since both are "intermeshed" when in 4th direct. Also, the bearings and syncros are included. If you a need for a factory ZF reaming, its 2k plus add'l core on the the input shaft.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can handle $1K, but not too much more... Do you know what sore of time frame we'd be looking at? Not in too big of a hurry, but it would need to be done by early June.

I still need to talk to Seth; see if he got anywhere with his teacher. I'll let you know what's going on, but if things go south, I'm hoping I'll be able to pick the tranny up tomorrow.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can make the intro for you two. It should be done friday if dropped off monday. I won't be in town after next week so its up to you for picking it up.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, wasn't expecting it to be done that quickly...

Any discount if he gets to take his time? ;)

I'll let you know as soon as I find out myself...Seth's still hoping he can work something out with his teacher, but my hopes aren't very high...

BTW, off-topic...saw the pic request on your F-450 glider thread. If Brian's too busy for whatever reason, I've got a digicam and could take pics for you...just LMK...

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Warden said:
Wow, wasn't expecting it to be done that quickly...

Any discount if he gets to take his time? ;)

I've know this guy for over 15 years.....I learned to never let him "take his time" on a job. :D
Thanks for the digicam offer. Brian got it handled. But.....Tom can use an extra hand swaping out his pickup bed Friday nite. ;Sweet

dave85

Reaction score
towcat said:
I've know this guy for over 15 years.....I learned to never let him "take his time" on a job. :D
Thanks for the digicam offer. Brian got it handled. But.....Tom can use an extra hand swaping out his pickup bed Friday nite. ;Sweet

what is this "bed swapping''? a truck I presume.
Dave

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dave85 said:
what is this "bed swapping''? a truck I presume.
Dave
Dave-
Scored Tom a '93 F350 4X4 7.3na E4DOA SRW on a title surrender. Paid 3K to clear the lein. Needs a little work but a nice ex-rancher truck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online