Rear brake line

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While driving trying to help my parents take care of stuff for my grandmothers funeral of course the truck had to explode a rear brake line and it's a gaping hole that won't allow the truck to stop at all.

It's right by the rear leaf Springs drivers side [1990 F350 Crew Cab srw]

I have way too much stuff to do tomorrow to have this take much time and I can't leave the truck where it's at more then a day. What is the brake line size and should I just flare two good ends on the main line and add a good section or is there any tricks to these on bigger trucks? I've done smaller car brake lines before and on a newer Silverado.

Or someone just shoot me. That would work at this point too.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Meh, pinch it off til you can fix it.....
Okay okay, just kidding.....
Splicing in a section will get you by for now, but I would replace the rest of it as soon as you can.
Remember those are double flares.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Another fix, since you are in a bind, grab a section of line, a tubing cutter, emery cloth and a couple compression fittings. Go past the bad section, cut it out, and splice in a new section with the compression fittings. This wouldn't take more than 30 minutes, and would allow you to move it home till you have more time.

**Disclaimer**

The compression fittings sold on the same rack as the brake lines state "Not for use one brake lines", so this is only a suggestion as an "emergency" fix.... (wink, wink, nudge, nudge)

I've used them, and is a nice on the side of the road fix...... Let's just not discuss how long the "temporary" fix was in place.......

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I second the compression coupling fix....JUST TO GET YOU HOME!
and leave lots of room infront of you, those things are worth there weight in brass, but don't trust them as far as hellen keller can throw them.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I got the front part cut to a good part real east to flare and work on, my issue now is the bad part towards the back is only good and safe right above the rear axle and the nut going into the rubber tube to try to replace it there with a pre flared piece will not move..

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Right where it angles down is my only good spot forwards that I'm gonna be able to flare into and literally anywhere moving forward by the front tank is fine.. I'm not sure what I'm gonna do yet.

You must be registered for see images attach

Don't ask how I got it here. Haha. I'm a good down shifter and may have bent the back line pretty good. Had dad drive in front of me so if I hit anyone it was gonna be his old pos Chevy

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just can't fix it. We got the lines flared on both ends and it leaks just as bad. Same parts same tools same people same sized lines that we've done before and it just leaks.

I can't get the nut off at the back where it goes into the rubber line or if just buy a new line off eBay.

Can't drive the truck to any shop near here cause of hills.

So frustrated.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Is the tee on the rubber line? On my sons 92, the tee for the front was part of the rubber line assembly. You may be able to replace all of it. Might have to fix the trunk line, replace the tee snd rubber lines and hard lines to the wheel cylinders. Hope not, but may have to head that direction.......

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well some good news, I made the flare a little bigger on the old line and it stopped leaking.

Until I press and pump the breaks. Then i get one drop per three heavy break presses. But I have a firm peddle again at least. Both unions look wet and if I pump the breaks 4-6 times I can get one drop. It's far from perfect but I can at least move drive the truck. I drove it 5 miles to my mechanics shop and the reservoir looks the exact same. Can't leave it this way but I bet people commute with worse.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is a double flare where it goes into the rubber line by the axle correct?

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was able to get the nut off going into the rubber line back by the rear axle. All new line from there up to under the front tank where my old brake line was perfect and where I actually made one good flare. No leaks bled the brakes and the pedal feels great.

All my other brake lines look perfect except the one across the back of the rear axle directly above the differential. Might replace those just in case some Saturday afternoon but I'm up and running again.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad you got it going. That is a known problem on these trucks. For some reason the line just rots out there. A couple lengths of premade line and a coupler in the middle and you can hand bend (carefully) a whole new rear trunk line in pretty short order. Personally I have had zero luck glaring brake lines and less than zero luck buying pre-bent.