Realistic budget of a 2wd -4wd and goodies build

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IDIOT!
last night had my LED reverse lights on to light up a work area. Come out this mornign to start truck and notice my GP stwitch was left on overnight. yup, batteries 100% dead, not even facet pump would turn on. Damn..I am assuming all 8 GP are dead....thankfully have 1 year warrantee left thru oreiley on them :D This is a great opportunity to compression test this engine. Thanks to BDCarillo for the HF mod, will do that tonight and swin her over. WIll get all new 8 plugs tomorrow morning and pop em in after compression test. Will leave the charger on till tomorrow night too probably.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't you hate those ID-10-T errors?

You may want to separate your batteries before you try to charge them. It takes a whale of a battery charger to pump juice into a dual battery setup.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hrm, probably shoudl have done that. i jsut got my wee 10 amp one on it. ill seperate them when im home tonight.
Will also be immediatly be putting in my momentary push button in.
hrm...i dont knwo if i even have one still..think the one one i did have was normally closed which is opposite of what i want..
radio shack had crap last time.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where did you find a radio shack... like hens teeth around here now.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our smallish city of Ukiah, population of 15,000, still has a Radio Shack. I asked the guy who was there and he said thay will not be closing.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That place is awesome. Been there a couple times. If they don't have it you probably don't need it.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
haha yeah just one small Shack tucked away in a strip mall.

well...ill be damned. i took out #1 glowplug and hooked it up to a abttery...it works! so i said hrm, hooked up both truck batteries back up...truck fired up pretty damn nice! lol, Beru FTW!
sounds like maybe 1 or 2 cyl didnt fire up as nice as usual.
I did a compression tes ton just number 1 as well, got 380 psi ;Sweet Dont knwo what the other ones are..eventualyl ill get aroudn to checking all plugs and compression.

Put the momentary switch in as well, and rewired my interior lights again so i can pop the headliner back in finally.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I shoudl check all 8 cylinders before anything, but what do you think a serious plume of blue smoke on cold start could be?
usually-its valve stem seals.
truck does STINK at idle, strong diesel exhaust smell. I know timing was at 8.5, injectors are new. only in the headlight beams of cars behind me can i see hazing when just driving around, indistinct color. Motor runs smooth.
Although I will be replacing this motor, still want to know!

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fabbed up an axle dump extension for my exhaust. Would have exhaust fumes come into the cabin at idle as the old exhaust dumped just under the frame right behind the cab. Hoping it was just that and no leaks further upstream.

i REALLY like the sound now, has a bassy burble at idle and low revs. smoother sounding on the freeway too, and its not sooting up my spring and tire. Still kind of want to put that big stupid tip no for fun lol

You must be registered for see images attach

finished installed product

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so that cheap 7.3 turbo I got turns out had the living crap beat out of it. 3 pistons cracked, half the injectors disintegrated coming out, all full of soot.
I think I may jsut go the normal route and just change the clutch which was the original issue and not stuff a new engine in there lol. Maybe treat myself to a nice new/low mile conestoga IP if I can find a used one on the boards.
Planning on stull using the PSD Luk clutch.

PS here is the rest of the serial. 7.3T xxxxxxx

leaky guides and/or seals on most of the the heads

nice pistons

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bringing this thread back up, as there are big changes coming soon!
1996 12 valve Ppump cummins swap with NV4500 5 speed, running LuK sintered ceramic 13" disc, aiming for 300 whp and 700ftlbs to start with on stock turbo.

I kinow we have the swap section but I think this thread needs to continue for documentary purposes!

Quick question: I want to use all the stock dodge stuff, electronic wise. i want the grid heaters to work automatically, just take harness, and pop it into big truck.. From this diagram it looks like the PCM receives 2 key on signals, and 1 hot at all times.

Do I need all 3 of these for the charging and heating system to work as it should? I am going to try to retain cruise control as well, just take the steering wheel switches out of the doge and put them in a remote box in big truck.

heres a pic of the clutch

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
E Moeller

Staff online