Ranger with No clutch pedal

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
Ok so I have a 95 Ford Ranger in my shop with the dual fire 2.3 in it. 5 spd 2wd.

customer complained of a slipping/surging while driving and that the clutch pedal was floppy and didnt return all the way up.

The rod in the clutch master was broken and not securing into the master. We replaced the master and bench bled it and installed it on the truck. No clutch pedal resistance at all. We bled it at the slave and it sprays fluid out with the bleeder screw open but still no pedal and the throwout bearing/internal slave does not even move.

We replaced the clutch master with another new one and also replaced the clutch and trowout/slave cyl at the same time cause the customer requested. The old clutch was not bad,but the for the pressure plate were pulled severely out towards the rear.

After replacing the clutch, pressure plate, internal slave,turning the flywheel, and the clutch master again we still have no pedal resistance at all and will not go into gear.

Anyone else have any suggestions as to how to fix this? Known problems?

Black dawg

Reaction score
those years can be a **** to get the air out. try taking the rubber piece out of the master res. , then put the lid back on. then using one of the little hand vac. pumps, put a vaccum on the res. through the hole in the cap. do this for about 30sec then take the lid off, the fluid level should have gone down. alternate between the vac and running the pedal, and it will start coming around.

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
black where in SW montana r u? I have to go to anaconda this weekend and then back to miles city and then back over to priest idaho over near lewiston and back.

as for the ranger. finally got a clutch pedal but it will not engage or disengage the clutch. Im stumped. pump the clutch and have a good pedal but the internal slave does not move.

Black dawg

Reaction score
black where in SW montana r u? I have to go to anaconda this weekend and then back to miles city and then back over to priest idaho over near lewiston and back.

as for the ranger. finally got a clutch pedal but it will not engage or disengage the clutch. Im stumped. pump the clutch and have a good pedal but the internal slave does not move.

missoula area.

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
Old post i know but me and my friends recently went through this with his 95 F150. On the rangers i think the master is tiled downward a bit so level the truck out. Then open the bleeder, pump is slowly 5 times bleeder still open. keep an eye on thee fluid. after the 5th pump tighten the bleeder and pump 10 times, bleed, do that 5 times and repeat pumping with the bleeder open 5 times and bleed until pedal feels good.

We fought with his, we had a decent pedal, slave moved but the clutch wouldnt disenguage. tried this trick i remember an old ford tech tell me and within 10 minutes it was normal. Sounds ass-backwards but it works.