Ranger Overdrive Torque Splitter looking 4 Personal Expierence

Preferred Manual Transmission

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pino2234

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I know overdrive units have been discussed in the past, but I have not found any thread where someone has provided feedback that actually owns a Ranger Overdrive Torque Splitter in our trucks. I am looking to put one in my truck for a towing application (85 CC 7.3 Turbo'd w T-19 Dually 3.55). I have the numbers below and the Torque Splitter looks on paper to be way better than a ZF-5. Does anyone have any personal experience with a Ranger Overdrive behind an IDI, or even towing with one?

The options are T-19 HD (with the 6.32:1 1st) or a ZF-5 (Gas Wide Ratio). My desire is to keep the 3.55 but they are not great when towing heavy loads. The ranger overdrive may allow me to do that, but the 420ft/lb max is iffy in the event I swap another engine in down the road. The ZF-5 may need 4.10s in order to haul heavier loads and compensate for the wide spread ratio.

**I couldn't find how to insert a table so the gear ratios are attached in a jpg.

You must be registered for see images attach

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 460 ZF5 (after typ4 mods) and a US Gear underdrive on my 6.9. It gives me a deeper first and reverse for hauling and I can underdrive it as well which really helps getting a load going.

Heath

Last edited:

Pino2234

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 460 ZF5 (after typ4 mods) and a US Gear underdrive on my 6.9. It gives me a deeper first and reverse for hauling and I can underdrive it as well which really helps getting a load going.

Heath

Thanks for the input Heath. If my math is right, you have the below ratios (under the ZF-5 Wide Ratio). The US Gear has a 20% change (you have underdrive).

jpw

Reaction score
My experience, not exactly apples to apples....

10 years and 100k on 1985 SRW F350 5.8 gasser T19 and ranger OD with 4.88 rear and 34.5" tire 3300' to sea level and back daily. Great control and brake life in hills w/ 2k of tools in bed ( 7-7.5I gvw ), can shift with or w/ out clutch, can split all gears after granny or just use as OD only when empty. slow when loaded or towing but could get anything moving...

NA 7.3 & close ratio zf5 Great once moving or without trailer, with trailer it's clutch slip or tranfer case in low to get loads started or backing...

Newest combo 7.3 ZF6 only got couple hundred unloaded in town miles on it, hardly been in 6th and still getting used to notchy shifter but fun to drive ( so was the T19 / Ranger )

HTH

J

zebrabeefj40

Reaction score
At what GVW is the Ranger rated? IIRC it was originally designed for medium duty trucks with gas motors and 4 sp transmissions. So that 420 ftlb rating may be at 26K gross. You are likely to not be towing 26K gross with your pickup so the Ranger will be fine because of the weight ratings. I had one in a Land Cruiser with a 350 V8 and Toyota 4sp - was a great piece. But a Land Cruiser weighs half what a full sized pickup weighs...

I'd say go for the Ranger and leave the 3.55 gears in place. I swapped from 3.55 to 4.10 with my current truck when it had an IDI/5sp - the difference was not as great as I was hoping. With 3.55 gears and a 5sp you can go 55mph in 4th gear. With 4.10 gears I was only comfortable going 40-45mph in 4th (with the motor I had - other's may have a different experience). The Cummins likes the 3.55 gears as well as it doesn't like to spin like a V8 does.

Nick

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input Heath. If my math is right, you have the below ratios (under the ZF-5 Wide Ratio). The US Gear has a 20% change (you have underdrive).

Yup, that's what is available for me when towing. For a 30+ year old truck, it does a good job of moving the 5th wheel down the road.

Heath

Pino2234

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome, thanks for all the input.

@jpw, I know it wasn't a diesel, but your 5.8 combo with a ranger still paints a good picture.

@zebrabeefj40, the ranger is rated at 420 ft/lbs and 26k GVW. The problem is everyone knocks the low torque ratings, however, the ZF5 (42 models) is only rated at 420 ft/lbs as well. As of now, I am still wanting to give it a try.

I will be building an air shift for it so we'll see how that goes. After school is over next friday, I'll be going to the junkyard to find a T18 with the 6.32:1 low first and ordering the ranger unit.

@hesutton, yes I love these old trucks. I am hoping the ranger allows my 7.3 to pull what I need to pull without requiring a cummins. The problem is I am moving to WV and I kept getting warned about pulling those long hills.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My truck is 461 at the wheels, the zf didnt fail from torque ,the synchros are just work out from high miles. So the 420 is conservative, or the engineer was a pothead.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The WV hills are mountains. They're no joke. I hauled the fifth wheel through a portion of WV this past summer. One really long and steep climb, I was down to 3rd underdrive with the RPM at 2500+ moving at 35MPH.

I was going slow, but I was going.

Talked to a good friend of mine who has Ranger behind his 4BT powered '61 GMC. He had hauled 24K gross total weight without any problems with the Ranger.

Heath

Last edited:

Pino2234

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The WV hills are mountains. They're no joke. I hauled the fifth wheel through a portion of WV this past summer. One really long and steep climb, I was down to 3rd underdrive with the RPM at 2500+ moving at 35MPH.

I was going slow, but I was going.

Talked to a good friend of mine who has Ranger behind his 4BT powered '61 GMC. He had hauled 24K gross total weight without any problems with the Ranger.

Heath

We actually bought a place already so we've been back and forth (Rte 68) but only in a Ford Escape so I don't have experience towing yet. But that's what I'm thinking, I may be going slow but at least I'll be moving.