Radiator Fan

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yet another technical question (sorry, just looked under the hood and reminded myself that some things need attention).

My fan blades are about 1/16th of an inch from the inside top of the fan shroud, and rub occasionally.

How far SHOULD they be if the engine is placed correctly?

Why would the engine move? Motor mounts are fairly new (about 18 months, tops) and I've already had the engine moved back into correct position once because the trans shop moved it somehow when replacing the trans.

I don't know how the mounts work... is it likely to be something simple like "mounts weren't tightened enough"?

Thanks again,
Mike

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Mikes91 said:
Yet another technical question (sorry, just looked under the hood and reminded myself that some things need attention).

My fan blades are about 1/16th of an inch from the inside top of the fan shroud, and rub occasionally.

How far SHOULD they be if the engine is placed correctly?

Why would the engine move? Motor mounts are fairly new (about 18 months, tops) and I've already had the engine moved back into correct position once because the trans shop moved it somehow when replacing the trans.

I don't know how the mounts work... is it likely to be something simple like "mounts weren't tightened enough"?

Thanks again,
Mike

There is a little bit of slop in the fan shroud to rad mounting holes... try sliding it a little. There is also a little bit of slop in the rad to rad support holes but typically I just let it rest on them then just adjust the shroud so that everything clears...

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
argve said:
There is a little bit of slop in the fan shroud to rad mounting holes... try sliding it a little. There is also a little bit of slop in the rad to rad support holes but typically I just let it rest on them then just adjust the shroud so that everything clears...

Thank you... sounds like I might wanna try moving the *EASIER* item FIRST, eh?

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
argve said:

By, "a little bit" do you mean 1/16th of an inch? I looked at it today and didn't break out any tools but it doesn't look like there's much room for movement of that shroud on the radiator mounts.

Mike

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
there is probably 1/8 of an inch between what the spring clips allow on the rad and the bolt through the holes on the fan shroud. If it clears it clears so just slide it up a little and enjoy.

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
argve said:
there is probably 1/8 of an inch between what the spring clips allow on the rad and the bolt through the holes on the fan shroud. If it clears it clears so just slide it up a little and enjoy.

Cool... I'll check it out this weekend.

Thanks again,

Mike

DIESEL_COP

JASON HALOUSKA
Reaction score
Mikes91 said:
Cool... I'll check it out this weekend.

Thanks again,

Mike

If your motor mounts are like mine the mounting studs sit in a upside down tear drop. I dont think they would move unless they are broke, could be wrong though.

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DIESEL_COP said:
If your motor mounts are like mine the mounting studs sit in a upside down tear drop. I dont think they would move unless they are broke, could be wrong though.

Just replaced the mounts last year... shouldn't be broken!! I know it was the trans shop that caused the problem... not sure exactly how... but will try to fix by moving the shroud as Travis recommended.

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mikes91 said:
Just replaced the mounts last year... shouldn't be broken!! I know it was the trans shop that caused the problem... not sure exactly how... but will try to fix by moving the shroud as Travis recommended.

I *tried* to move the shroud up just a wee bit last night, and it moved MAYBE 1/16th of an inch. Not very substantial. Found one broken bolt that I'll want to replace.

Is it possible the entire radiator slipped a little downward? Is it possible the motor mounts may be holding the engine high because of an adjustment issue with them? I'm leaning toward the radiator being mounted just a little farther downward than it could be... but who knows... Not sure if there's really any positional adjustment in the motor mount assembly, as I've never had to deal with it myself.

Thoughts??

Thank you,
Mike

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JPR said:
Mike,

Did you inspect the body bushing and shims between the frame and radiator support?

Nope... I'll have a look. Where are the body bushings located? Do you mean the cab bushings? When I had the other bushings replaced 18 month ago, the cab bushings wouldn't budge... so they stayed in.

The radiator bushings were replaced about 18 month ago.

Thank you for your suggestion...

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is 7/8" from the end of the fan blade to the shroud. Enough to slide your fingers in between. Are the shims missing on yours?

I knocked the shims out on my 83 when I dropped the nose into a 3' deep irrigation ditch. I got shims from a body shop and and slid as many as would fit into the space. Then loosened the bolt and added another 1/16" or so, then retightened the bolt.