Putting a 01' psd on an old international farmall tractor

billyboyr66

Reaction score
like title says I have a tractor project starting and I'm putting a powerstroke on the old girl. I already have the tractor, and the almost complete powerstroke engine.

What I'm hoping for here is a couple answers to some questions I have.

In order to make the psd drive the tractors original transmission all I need is a bellhousing to house the clutch and hold the starter. Then I will fab a driveshaft to go from the clutch to the tractors trans input (shaft driven).

I have found a mid 80's aluminum t19 diesel bellhousing from 6.9 idi Will it bolt up to powerstroke? If so what starter will bolt up and mesh with psd flywheel without to much hassle?

I'm going to look at idi bellhousing today and I'm taking the powerstrokes thin dust shield to see if the bolt pattern is the same.

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe by 01 ford had fully switched to the zf6 which has a different bellhousing than the zf5s. Zf5s and t19s swap easily. So my vote goes to "no" on the t19 bellhousing on the 01 powerstroke. Sorry man, build sounds awesome though :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the T-19 bell housing will bolt up to a 01 7.3 PSD.
I have a 01 psd on my engine run stand right now that uses a t-19 bell housing
the starter bolts up to the adapter plate, so with the PSD flywheel, its golden, the issue youre going to have is the length of the input shaft for the transmission

You must be registered for see images attach

billyboyr66

Reaction score
the starter bolts up to the adapter plate, so with the PSD flywheel, its golden, the issue youre going to have is the length of the input shaft for the transmission

Awesome. Thank you for the info. I picked up the bellhousing yesterday and bought an adapter from eBay. So your saying the 01' starter is what I need then?

As far as the input shaft goes all I'm using it the zf6 input shaft and nothing more. I will weld a yoke right to the end of the input shaft and that will connect me to the tractor transmission. So for the length of input shaft Im good there.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you will need one hell of a flange bearing.
you should re-think this.
how are you going to install the input shaft?
"slip" the engine into the shaft?
slip the transmission into the engine?

billyboyr66

Reaction score
you will need one hell of a flange bearing.
you should re-think this.
how are you going to install the input shaft?
"slip" the engine into the shaft?
slip the transmission into the engine?

I plan to make a shaft housing/ bearing retainer plate that will bolt to the face of the bellhousing where the t19 would have bolted up and it will utilize the zf6"s factory input shafts bearing and race but I think I will turn the bearing around backwards.

It will go together just like normal. engine in place bolt up bellhousin then I will insert custom made face plate and clutch output shaft. The very short driveshaft will be the last piece between clutch output shaft and the tractors transmission

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
billyboy,

I'd love to see this thing when you get it together..... I noticed your location says Indy, I live in Greenfield.....

billyboyr66

Reaction score
billyboy,

I'd love to see this thing when you get it together..... I noticed your location says Indy, I live in Greenfield.....

I'm actually in greenfield too. I am only just starting this project though. I am thinking it will be running this next summer.

billyboyr66

Reaction score

On this psd and t19 bellhousing combo above is the stock 01 clutch still in there? I started to assemble mine last night and the bellhousing would not go on over the pressure plate. Looked like pressure plate was hitting the back of the bellhousing. It needed to go about another inch or so to mate up to the adapter completely.

It was dark out and cold so I didn't look too far into it yet. Was a little grinding on the pressure plate nessesary to make clearance?

I machined down the zf6 input shaft over the last couple evenings it's almost ready for me to start making the adapter plate to bolt to the bellhousing and the bearing pocket.

Rethinking my plans a little now that I'm getting into it, I am going to use a sealed bearing instead of the original tapered bearing and race due to the original bearing needing to be lubricated constantly. It would just end up a high maintenance area that I want to avoid. I can get a heavy duty sealed bearing and be a lot better off I'd think.

I think I'm going to machine a two piece bearing pocket so that assembly will be easy. Bolt the adapter plate on, insert the modified clutch shaft (zf6 input shaft) with bearing, then bolt on bearing retaining cap. In theory I believe it will work very well.

I will start adding some progress pics on this thread if I can figure out how. Not being able to find anything even close to this project on the net I'm sure a lot of people would like to see this project from start to finish.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no clutch, only a 4R100 flex plate. may want to thing about using a T19 input shaft and clutch.
im only using the T19 bellhousing on a engine run stand.

billyboyr66

Reaction score
no clutch, only a 4R100 flex plate. may want to thing about using a T19 input shaft and clutch.
im only using the T19 bellhousing on a engine run stand.

If I use t19 clutch I'd have to use 6.9/7.3 idi flywheel wouldn't I? Then I'd run into balancing issues. I'll look a little deeper into it and see where it goes.

Maybe I'd be better off making spacer for the bellhousing spacing it back far enough to clear pressure plate. Too many options. Lol. This will defiantly be a trial and error project.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
drill and tap into the PSD flywheel. problem solved, long as you know how to lay out a bolt circle lol