PSD vs IDI Starter Bolts

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Are the starter bolts the same for the idi's and 7.3psd's? I'm missing a set of idi bolts and have a few psd trucks around, just thought I would ask before I go lay in the mud pulling a psd starter.

Thanks

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are just 3/8-16 NC bolts IIRC. I've used some Grade 8 ones at one point...

Quick google search shows that PS bolts are metric.

Try one and see if it threads. Otherwise, just get some 3/8-16 bolts from the local hardware store.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Pick up 2 bolts, and a stud and nut. I swapped out the starter this weekend, and used the larger Mitsubishi style starter (that is what was in stock). I put a stud in the top hole..... it is still a b***h to get the nut started if you have large hands, but the starter will just hang there on the stud.....

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pick up 2 bolts, and a stud and nut. I swapped out the starter this weekend, and used the larger Mitsubishi style starter (that is what was in stock). I put a stud in the top hole..... it is still a b***h to get the nut started if you have large hands, but the starter will just hang there on the stud.....

one of the reasons I went powermaster. the starter solenoid is smaller, and easier to get to that top bolt.