project: watch out Kentuckians

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the engine is in the truck!!!! turbo is on, up pipes are in and most of the wiring is done. the turbo fits but it is pretty snug in their. it only clears the cab by like an 1/8'' so lets hope that's not a issue.

as of now I am trying to connect the DP to the rest of the exhaust. I also have to re fit the trans dipstick tube.

I was going to fill the cooling system with water for the first test. mainly to check for leaks and this block had some crud in it. would there be any harm in running the water for most of the summer? should I add any additives if so?

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Coolant will help your boiling temps but as long as it's distilled water with proper nitrite levels I don't see any way it could cause harm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can run just water for a couple days but I wouldn't go all summer.You need the proper coolant with SCA's so your cylinder walls don't get eaten.Will coolant additives work properly in just water? I dunno.I didn't think so? I don't think it would be a wise choice nonetheless.I wouldn't try it.

Edit; I just googled the boiling point of water.It's 212F.
That's just near and around the fully opening position of the t-stat.No way man.50/50!:D

Last edited:

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would use distilled water. I wasn't sure if anyone has put SCAs in water before to make it safer for the engine. I would mainly be doing this to clean the system and if I have a leak of some kind I wont have coolant all over the place.

the pressure of the cooling system should take care of the boiling temp? does anyone know the boiling temp of coolant with no pressure? my coolant bottles only rate it at 15psi.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I was about to mention the part of being under pressure.
A quick search says about 250°F under 15 psi.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh that's right,you've still got the pressure.I dunno though It doesn't seem like a good idea.It just scares me lol.

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Elijah, hypermax has a special tranny dipstick tube for their systems. If you can't modify yours you could just buy the one that fits.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Elijah, hypermax has a special tranny dipstick tube for their systems. If you can't modify yours you could just buy the one that fits.

funny you say that, that is on the list for today. I think I am just going to use parts of the PSD tube I have and a heavy duty piece of hose to get it in a good place. I might need to lengthen the dipstick but that is the easy part.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you are that close to the cab I hope you put in new motor mounts. The other thing you may be able to do to gain a free 1/4" or so is loosen your cab bolts and slide the cab back a hair. There is some wiggle room depending on where the bolts are in the mount holes. I was looking for every 1/16" I could find before I cut the trans tunnel for the DP.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the motor mounts are pretty new, 2 years or so. the mounts are stiff and I have noticed these engines don't move that much.

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Elijah do you know what a/r the exhaust housing on your moose boost turbo is? I'm curious to see how yours runs and spools before I decide what route to go with mine, haha!