project: watch out Kentuckians

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
progress has been made today....

I was finally able to do a compression test on the motor I am using. after a few turns I got oil to come out of the tube I have rigged up, you can see in the pictures.

results...
#1-350
#2-380
#3-360
#4-360
#5-380
#6-360
#7-360
#8-380

that's an average of 366 psi vs the old engine had an average of 317 psi.

You must be registered for see images attach

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a few update pictures. all the wiring is done, all plug and play now. the last thing is to get the oil drain to fit.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
one thing I want to run by yall is, I had to re bend #8 injector line. I made it fit well.

does anyone see any negative affects of this?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As long as it seats and doesn't leak the only thing that should matter is the length and that didn't change.

I have to ask, are you going to have to mess with the firewall at all on this? Also if you are looking for a little longer oil drain, the cummins drains fit nicely. That's what I ended up using. I made an adapter that fit the standard CDR grommet in the valley pan then put orings on the drain and that way there really is no need for rtv.

If Photobucket will decide to work I'd post a pic but so far not so much.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
as far as I know you don't have to do anything to the firewall. there is the lip I bent over for the banks kit so I am hoping that will be it. there the stock hypermax up pipes and mount, its just the turbo that is different.

I vaguely remember seeing pictures of your oil drain but I would be interested in seeing them again for reference.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
as far as I know you don't have to do anything to the firewall. there is the lip I bent over for the banks kit so I am hoping that will be it. there the stock hypermax up pipes and mount, its just the turbo that is different.
Don't know for certain, but I think the firewalls are the same between bull and brick nose rigs.... I had to move mine much more forward and up from where the banks turbo was to clear the firewall. Also had to mod the intake manifold as well. When are you gonna drop it into the truck? Might wanna do that sooner than later to know your clearance is good.

Heath

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score

Can you still read / have the Brand and Part number of the serpentine belt?

That looks to be the correct length one, and it fits under the vacuum pump and the idlers fall into the correct place.....

There are some issues of belt length, and you have in one that appears to be correct would be a valuable bit of info, for me at least... since the belt on my IDI is going OVER the vacuum pump pulley, not under.......

Last edited:

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't know for certain, but I think the firewalls are the same between bull and brick nose rigs.... I had to move mine much more forward and up from where the banks turbo was to clear the firewall. Also had to mod the intake manifold as well. When are you gonna drop it into the truck? Might wanna do that sooner than later to know your clearance is good.

Heath

the motor is already together and fitted with the turbo so I know that will work. I am hoping to have it in sometime this week. I still have no idea how it will all fit in the truck so it will be new for me.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you still read / have the Brand and Part number of the serpentine belt?

That looks to be the correct length one, and it fits under the vacuum pump and the idlers fall into the correct place.....

There are some issues of belt length, and you have in one that appears to be correct would be a valuable bit of info, for me at least... since the belt on my IDI is going OVER the vacuum pump pulley, not under.......

yes I can get you the belt info. the size that is supposed to fit is too long or short I think. I had a dayco on it but it would have an intermittent squeak so I got the cheap style this time. it has not yet been tested so I am not sure if it will be better or not.

EDIT: here is the belt info. I also have a picture of the position of the dampener for reference.

Last edited:

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You throwing the Typ4 cam in this engine?

no, im staying with the stock cam. I did upgrade the valve springs but wasn't happy with what it did to the other motor. il save it for another build.

the thing is my first trip will be over 2,000 miles so I am trying to eliminate any problems that could accrue. it could work fine but I don't want to take that chance now.