Project Red Cent

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got something that looks like it could be a muffler. You can see through it. I'll try it for a while. I think it's 4". It was like new. May be the only part that actually goes back on the truck.

LOL

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been debating which radio to put in mine. I have a uniden that looks a lot like that and a cobra 40 channel. Same form factor. What are you doing for an antennae?

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Been debating which radio to put in mine. I have a uniden that looks a lot like that and a cobra 40 channel. Same form factor. What are you doing for an antennae?

The uniden replaced my ashtray nicely, I'm glad it fit in there cuz there isnt a lot of space in the Ranger cab.

Im using this antenna https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H2W270/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

its mounted to the top of my wvo tank in the bed, where it will stay 99% of the time. I did leave enough slack to pop it onto the roof for when I'm hanging out with you weirdos once a year. LOL

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had the one on my 88 right in the front corner of the bed for a while. It worked okay but could have been better. My main limitation at the time was height. I barely had room to get the truck in much less a big ole whip on it. I had seriously considered a cab mount at one point on the side of the extended cab highway patrol style. Then I came to my senses and said do I really want to drill a hole there???

You'll have to let me know how that works. I had a little dinky one for a while but hell you could see someone in the rear view and not be able to talk to them with it. Not terribly useful.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
I'm getting started on my pre-rally list of todo-s. Luckily it's fairly short so far.

First up is cruise control. Allegedly this pile of cp3o vomit will give me "no vacuum required" cruise. Seems like a decent kit.

You must be registered for see images attach

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will be following this closely. I'm not convinced I'm going to get my factory cruise working.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
I'll try to document stuff for ya then Mike. I'm going to try and use the RABS sensor for the speed signal.
My rear axle that is from a 91 has a port for one. The number of teeth on the tone ring give me too many pulses per mile tho. So I'll add this pulse divider which should bring me back in range of the new CC module.
If I can't get this to work, I'll fall back to putting a VSS on the end of the speedo cable. But that means a new speedo cable, and a RPITA to swap on my set up.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm about 5 min from ripping every inch of wire out of this pos and start over. [emoji35]

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
I bought two main components from Rostra. The main unit is pn 250-1223. It feels pretty high-quality. It's self contained into one main weather-tight brain box. The instructions call to mount this under the hood someplace.

Then there is the switch. Pn 250-3743. It's designed to mount on the right side of the column. (my left side is already pretty crowded)
6 wires, all pre-pinned, but not inserted into the connectors yet.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
For the wiring, looks like there is a spot to plug in the two connectors from the switch.
Also:
brown 12v key switched
Black ground
Red and violet get laced through the clutch switch and Boo switch.
Gray VSS.
There is a blue tach wire that I won't use. It's for over rev protection, but diesels are governed too low for this to work.

This whole harness is connector-ized to make it easy to disconnect near the firewall.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
A little more progress on this. Got the box mounted to the firewall under the hood and the cable hooked up to the throttle cable.

They give you a ton of throttle cable connection options. It's almost too universal in my opinion, and the cable itself seems a little chintzy so we'll see how well it holds up.

If I were still in the build stage of this truck and not in the daily driver stage I'd probably have found a better place to mount the box, and maybe even tried to shorten the cable. Should work fine tho.

Next will be wiring up the VSS, and then mounting the steering column switch.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
I'll try to document stuff for ya then Mike. I'm going to try and use the RABS sensor for the speed signal.
My rear axle that is from a 91 has a port for one. The number of teeth on the tone ring give me too many pulses per mile tho. So I'll add this pulse divider which should bring me back in range of the new CC module.
If I can't get this to work, I'll fall back to putting a VSS on the end of the speedo cable. But that means a new speedo cable, and a RPITA to swap on my set up.

Neat, so how flexible is the signal splitter? I have a sensor on my flywheel I would like to set up to feed my tack.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
how flexible is the signal splitter?

Well, not very. But depending on how many teeth your flywheel has, and how many you wish it had, it maybe could work. There's a jumper inside that you set the "divide by". 1 2 4 8 or 16