Project Big Red

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Worst case cut out a pice to gain clearance. Then build a small dog house to put back in. I'd consider riveting the piece back in myself. That way you can bedline it or other coatings ahead of time. No reason to screw up any more existing coatings with weld heat.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually considering this. We'll see if I can get her to move. I have a plan....I think.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Based on the amount and quality of your work, I think you have way more "wins" over the truck than the truck does over you!
I agree. ive built several vehicles. and the way I see it, it may feel like a truck win, but what it actually is, is a retreat to higher ground, which is nothing more than going in for the kill.

minor set backs will happen, but the truck looks damn good. and you will prevail.
building isn't easy, and the hardest f'n part of it, is having the will to do it.
either it being ill will, or not, will is will :D

keep kickin ass Mike, just dont forget to take names

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tried that. Gained a tiny little bit. Engine and trans will not slide forward. Motormounts are in the slots so it is where it is.

It's been a tough weekend. What I thought would be a 5 minute job has turned into quite the nightmare. Anyway, I needed more room for the down pipe. I tried this.

You must be registered for see images attach

Pipe mandrel.

Slide hammer. I beat till I was blue in the face. I gained but not much. So I started cutting. I split the seam thinking that would solve the problem. I was wrong. So I kept cutting. I eventually figured out that this was not going to get me where I need to be. So this happened.

So now I have room to work.

This is about enough I think.

The pipe fits now. I messed up the v band clamp. Too many times running the lock nut down on it. So I didn't fit the pipe the last time. I will again though. I probably won't finalize this until I get it running so I can make sure it's enough room before I put the dash back in. While it's out, I think I'll strip the old insulation off the fire wall and put some fresh sound deadener on the firewall. I needed to change the speedo cable anyway. I was going to loose the stock radio so I ditched it while I was in there. I'll probably vacuum out the air boxes as best I can.

Anything else I should do "while I'm in here"?

I so did not want to do this. I hate taking dashes apart.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While you're in there, when I had my dash out noticed those little access panels on right and left. Think there was a couple small sheet metal screws holding them. On the outside (normally covered by the front fenders) there's a rubber grommet designed to drain water from cowl area. Anyway, mine was filled with pine needles and leafs. Might want to check / clean this if you already haven't.

Also, if you're using OBS door panels; the wiring harness for OBS power window switch is different than Brick. I installed the harness prior to re-installing the dash. Oh, and don't forget to properly locate the antenna cable. I didn't notice this till re-installation of radio and had to remove dash again.......

She's lookin GOOD, keep sluggin away!

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm using the brick door panels so no worry there.

I cleaned all that out I before I painted. Yep. There was crap in there.

Funny, I said to my dad last night, I'll have to remember the antenna wire or I'll be really upset when I go to install the radio and can't find it. [emoji849]

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know why banks used that oddball 2.75 ish down pipe. It probably would have cleared. No I had to be different.

LOL

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had the Banks kit sans turbo not just fallen from the sky, I probably would have made all my own pipes. Such is life.