Pre turbo exhaust leak

Julianq7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im not really getting any boost from my turbo I installed. It's whistling like crazy but it's not giving my the power I thought it would. Checked for leaks and I have an exhaust leak where the y elbow connects to the passenger side mannifold. I loosened the turbo and the y elbow and tried to reposition it a few times and tightened it back up up but I still have the leak. The leak is only on one side on the elbow. Is there suppose to be a copper gasket on the connection? No matter what I try it's not sealing!

Thanks guys

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you remove the studs and use bolts to fasten the y to the manifold? If the studs are still there, the hex on them is preventing the y pipe from seating fully on the manifold.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I doubt that you could remove the hex from the studs without having them out of the manifold. If you do that, why not install the bolts instead? I've never had any that didn't come out easily with a deep 9/16" socket on an impact wrench. You may want to run a thread chaser or something similar through the holes before installing the bolts. The studs don't usually stick out past the flange where they screw in and rust builds up in the threads.