Pre Filtering your WVO...

bentwings

Reaction score
Why not mix some of the crud (it's still oil) with wood chips. I thinkthe "foreigners" do this. They also use some of the glycerine for this too. Take a Webber grill and make a couple coils of copper tubing and a small reservoir and make a semi closed heating system. One coil goes inthe Webber and the other goes in the tank. You run the tubing into the bottom of your filter tank. Light the crud/wood and you will get a dam hot fire. You may be able to almost boil the oil and get rid of the water too. If you use oil like motor oil (used?? for cheap) in the lines you could get a dam hot heater. Certainly well over 200 degrees. You wouldn't have to do much insulation. Who cares if you lose a few BTU's you will have plenty.

some actually use some of the low quality bio-diesel to make heat for the conversion process where required and thus you don't have to pay for heat.

MudHog

Reaction score
do you have a compost pile? Could put it in there and let it break down on it's own. I don't see it being a major envir. problem.

What are you doing with the glycerin after the process?

bct

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Havent brewed yet. The problem with the compost pile is I have nosey neighbors to begin with, the smell is what I worry about. Rotting food aint pretty. I heard sewage treatment plants like the glycerin and would prolly take the food too. Ima check that out later this week. I looked at the presses for logs once and seam to remember they were damn expencive. I'd do that if I could get the press for under $100. Of course Im open to ideas.......... Except heating the stuff :D

sagebel

Reaction score
I save all my saw dust and mix the gycerin with it. Makes a very good and stable fire starter. I only use it out doors for bon fires, etc....

Scott

bct

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya know, i read over this, and dont thik I ever identified the crud. Its food. Rotting nasty slury of food. typically settled at the bottom with water. make firestarter with it? is that what you guys do? I got 15 gallons of it in the last batch, and like I said, its full of water? Or am i the only one thats come across this volume of nasty stuff? Boil it down? this stuff smells horrid cold, i aint heatin it up.....

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
bct said:
Ya know, i read over this, and dont thik I ever identified the crud. Its food. Rotting nasty slury of food. typically settled at the bottom with water. make firestarter with it? is that what you guys do? I got 15 gallons of it in the last batch, and like I said, its full of water? Or am i the only one thats come across this volume of nasty stuff? Boil it down? this stuff smells horrid cold, i aint heatin it up.....
that is be biggest reason why I don't get involved with WVO. lived with the smell of rest. cooking smell in my clothes for years. Ruined the interior of two cars from it. don't want to get involved with the stuff anymore. BTW, there's a reason why the grease is seperated from regular garbage. Its illegal to throw the slop into the dumpster. If you are going to take the stuff, best to bury it or burn it.

bct

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel your pain mang. Im considering ways to handle the stuff without getting into it. i did have this idea..... The glycerin we're going to get is going to be runny. How about a regular carboard box with a liner of sawdust in the bottom layer of glys, layer of food and layer of glys with more sawdust on it, tape it shut. Sounds like a bonfire starter to me!

kinda nasty to have arround waiting for a bonfire.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REM70

Staff online