Power window issue

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1990 f350, my front power window drivers side quit going up but it will still go down but it skips.

I haven't had a chance to take the door off and peek in there, but it seems like the gear on the motor is broken maybe? When I try to put the window up it skips and doesn't really move at all.

The motor does spin no matter what up or down, so I'm wondering if I'm going to just be able to put a new gear on the end of it or what my repair procedure is going to be here..

I've already done 3/4 power lock actuators on ever door on the truck but my drivers door so of course it's the only one I haven't ripped into yet. Hopefully this is as much fun as repairing my rear power lock actuators was...

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool, that's nifty if that ends up being the culprit. Guess I'll be able to tell by seeing if the motor noise is spinning the outer gear or if the noise is just the motor trying to push the window but slipping inside the motor.

At the same time I wonder how much the actual motors are.. I'm half scared to google that part but I'm gonna research that just in case.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The motors aren't too expensive should you need one. Ford used the same motors in several applications so they're cheap and plentiful.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine has a triangle shaped rubber "fuse" that eventlyy breaks. A new one was $20 @ vatozone.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

The three plastic nubs that go between the outer metal gear and the triangular plastic piece were broken in mine. There's a YouTube video showing 3 small nuts being placed in the corners of the plastic piece and it will fix it, and it did but the motor sounds very tired and I'm scared it's gonna break next so I got a new motor off Amazon for 30$ and I'm gonna keep this one as a spare. The three nuts thing also makes it a bit unsafe as there's no safety measure if something is stuck in the window as it goes up.