Power steering stiff, sometimes - 2001 Jetta TDI

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello!

Yes, I see the irony in posting this given my recent thread about how great my car's been LOL

I've been noticing over the last week or so, the steering on my 2001 Jetta TDI gets stiff. When the car's cold, everything seems happy, but after things warm up, and especially on the highway, I'm noticing the steering becoming considerably more stiff. At some times, it feels like the power steering's failed altogether. This seems to only happen when turning the wheel slightly (i.e. following a curve on a highway); at low speeds and in turns, it feels normal. Actually, I'd compare it to a fairly extreme version of the variable-assist power steering seen on some luxury cars, except that it never felt like this before.

Fluid checks out okay, no obvious leaks, serpentine belt looks happy and all other belt-driven accessories (alternator, a/c compressor) work fine, and no strange noises.

Honestly, it doesn't even bother me, but if it's a symptom of something about to fail, I'd rather take care of it now than wait until I'm left on the side of the road.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance ;Sweet

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Maybe start with getting the old fluid out and new stuff in.
Sounds like the fluid is foaming up.
Not sure if your year has hydro boost, but with foamy fluid, you'd feel it in the brakes also.
Could be rack and pinion too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jaymanthree

Reaction score
That type of fluid will not foam. It is mineral type only. Do not use normal ps fluid.
Something might be restricting flow (ie debris in the line.)There should also be a pressure switch on the high pressure line. If seen crud build up around there as well. Try and flush the fluid and see how it goes from there. Pentosin makes a mineral type fluid for the vw's you should be able to find at local parts store without going to vw.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
time for a rebuilt rack.
Lovely...I know that, when this problem comes up consistently, the rack's on its way out, but I was hoping that I might have dodged a bullet with the problem being intermittent.

BTW, I found this: http://www.germanautoparts.com/Volkswagen/Jetta/Steering/167/8 ...kinda surprises me that a brand new (supposedly OEM) rack is actually cheaper than a rebuilt, even after the core return. What are your thoughts?

That type of fluid will not foam. It is mineral type only. Do not use normal ps fluid.
Something might be restricting flow (ie debris in the line.)There should also be a pressure switch on the high pressure line. If seen crud build up around there as well. Try and flush the fluid and see how it goes from there. Pentosin makes a mineral type fluid for the vw's you should be able to find at local parts store without going to vw.
I knew the fluid wasn't standard PS fluid, but thanks for letting me know which fluid to get. Any thoughts on where any debris might have come from? The cap's tight and AFAIK it should be a closed system unless the cap's removed...the system's probably due for a flush, but the previous owner was good enough with maintenance that it shouldn't be TOO far overdue...

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MY COST IS $333.00 "new OEM"
it comes with a HUGE warning tag about you must clean out the power steering system.
looks like a common failure issue.
that sucks.

jaymanthree

Reaction score
Most debris in system usually comes from not flushing after replacing a damaged part, but hard to say.
Easiest place to start is a simple flush and fill with correct fluid.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MY COST IS $333.00 "new OEM"
:shocked: :shocked: :shocked: WOW!! FRom what I had seen on a few VW-specific forums, the $425 one in that link was surprisingly low...IIRC they were saying a typical dealer cost was $750+. So, $333 is very hard to argue with ;Sweet ...now I just need to decide whether I want to tackle it myself or let your guys do it (i'm a bit squeamish on suspension/steering systems). AFAIK the pump's happy, and I don't think it's been replaced...although I'm not sure either way.

Most debris in system usually comes from not flushing after replacing a damaged part, but hard to say.
Easiest place to start is a simple flush and fill with correct fluid.
I hear you, but again, to the best of my knowledge, no work was done on the power steering system recently...certainly not in the 40K miles I've had the car, and I didn't see anything in the previous owner's records either. And, now that I think about it, I do recall starting to feel play in the steering wheel that wasn't there when I first got the car...so, I think I'll just go ahead and do the rack/flush. Could probably stand to have tie rod ends done as well...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online