Possible buy questions.

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
I have currently a 88' F250 with a 7.3. I have been presented with the opportunity to buy a 86' C/K with a 6.2T, Dana 60's and a Banks Kit and some other good stuff, as well as being clean.

I have read a few comparos online but nothing of signifigance. I would like to know some of the highlights between the 6.2 and 7.3. Will I be gaining anything or losing? What kind of interchange capabilities are there with the Chevy diesel trucks (i.e. transmission swaps, interior swaps, gear changes, etc.)? Also any specific info on swapping from a auto to a stick? Any tech info someone can point me to would be awesome. I am coming from Ford on this so ya. I will be doing searching myself, but if someone can just paste thread links that would be fine. The more info the better.

Also if it is not worth it, then I will be doing a DT-360 and front Dana 60 swap into my F250.

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
You'll lose a lot of power if you swap from a 7.3 to a 6.2. LOTS of power. The 6.2 is a good engine, but even with a turbo set up, you're basically running the same power curve as a stock 350 gas engine. You really wouldn't be gaining anything, either. The 6.2t and 7.3 will run almost the same fuel mileage, with the 6.2t coming out on top by 2-3 mpg's. It's the trade off from losing power.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A Turbo 6.2 will blow the doors off of an NA 7.3. Maybe not off the line but with a load. My buddy has one and i have him NA with a trailer up to around 55 (before 38s), after that he pulled away easier andcould maintain speed a lot easier.

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
A Turbo 6.2 will blow the doors off of an NA 7.3. Maybe not off the line but with a load. My buddy has one and i have him NA with a trailer up to around 55 (before 38s), after that he pulled away easier andcould maintain speed a lot easier.

Depends on the gear set you guys are both running. I have yet to get my turbo set up on my 6.2 put together (not enough time in the day for that project yet). A friend of mine had an old 7.3 that had a 4.10 in it and would pull a tree down on the low end. Can't speak much for the top end towing capabilities though, because he was afraid to drive it above 50 mph's with the steering as bad as it was. But very true, a turbo will ALWAYS help a diesel out-perform it's n/a counterparts.