portable generator for cold start

MAvTistic

Reaction score
Just thinking, I work 3rd shift and the parking lot is huge and open, now that it is getting cold out after sitting all night long, well it takes everything the dodge has to get it started.

would a small gas generator work to start at last break and be able to plug truck in for 2 hours before I go home? I dont know if this would be a good idea or not?

any thoughts?

MArk

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
of course you could do it. you would only need like a 1500 W one too. either that or it would be cool if you could park next to the building to plug her in.

MAvTistic

Reaction score
THanks guys for the response, still trying to decide what to do//

MArk

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
id be concerned with the generator dissappearing though. and im thinking that your truck should start a lot better than that. im not a cummins guy, i dont know a damn thing about them, but there is a lot of guys who do who could help you get her started easier.

VALKYRIES

Reaction score
portable gen

This is exactly what I have done. A 1/2" Gr 70 chain and a 14 mm lock disswades theft ( so far) The Honda 1400 watt is big enough for the task I have two cords going to the two under the rad, YOu will find that the fuel tank is toooo small for this to work. My 5kw is has a big enough fuel tank but is too over sized for the task. What I did was to get an hyd o-ring faced fitting for threading into threaded steel and us a reducer on the other side ??? 1/8" to 1/4 " I think?? I measured the size with my calipers and got a unie bit that had the correct size. It was a job for the summer time for me. In the middle of the upper part of the fuel tank is where I put the hole where I could get a spanner on to the threaded reducer. So far it hasn't leaked? I use about 3 ft of S/S hyd hose Threaded it to 1/4" steel made round and filed to suit with fuel gasket (gas ) marked and cut to size. I feed it to the 25L fuel can it will run for alot of hours. I ran mine for 7 hrs at -33C to warm the engine and warm the two batteries.Then started the truck. It is now just a go anywhere with me item. Good luck it works well maybe if you can park where there is some or more yard light.

Papabear

Papabear
Reaction score
you could get a webasto the about $1200.00 cad or a pro heat which is the way i am going to go for about 3000.00cad because it will also keep the batteries fully charged and recirculate the fuel to keep it warm as well and it is a thermostatically controlled when running it will burn 1/2 qt and hour.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance