Play in my water pump, *****? Video included

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was playing with my truck today trying to fit a shorter belt for my alternator (no luck). While it was apart I started checking my pulleys for any play. I got to the fan, and, well, I'm pretty sure it's not normal, but I'll let you guys tell me exactly how boned I am :p

For what it's worth, I drove the truck 150 miles yesterday and it didn't care, it never overheats and it's not leaking anything. I'm 99% sure my fan clutch is shot at the very least, but I don't think that's what's wobbling.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll let someone else say but I'd already have one ordered at this point. I've never seen a "good" water pump with any play like that. Last one I saw like that was on my Father in law's Dodge and it was squealing pretty bad too.

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll let someone else say but I'd already have one ordered at this point. I've never seen a "good" water pump with any play like that. Last one I saw like that was on my Father in law's Dodge and it was squealing pretty bad too.
I'm already shopping. Ordered a new Motorcraft fan clutch already ($63 before shipping from RockAuto, cheapest I've ever seen them) and I'm windowshopping on the water pump. The reman market has boned me about 100 times so far, so I'm leaning towards Go Big or Go Home. I'm open to suggestions, I've never replaced a water pump and I have no intention of doing it twice, so no Autozone / Napa / O'Reilly reman garbage.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didnt know you could still buy remanned water pumps...All I ever see is new...chinese but new.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GMB is now the mfg for the water pumps, and yes, they are made in China.
if you can find some "new old stock" pull the pump out of the box and look for a casting mark "A" with a circle around it.
that is an old Airtex casting and that's the good ****.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Find a marine water pump rebuilder. I am happy so far with napa new. or carquest reman.

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ordered. It's been a while since I've seen any of the old U-Haul stock, I thought it all got sold a few years back. I've always heard the remans that U-Haul got were actually good. Thanks for the heads up! :cheers:

When the pump gets here, is there anything that I can check on it to verify it's in good shape? Like I said, I don't want to do this twice, lol. This job is gonna be traumatic, I've got a LOT of reading to do.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They did them in house. And its an easy job. I can do one in 45 minutes

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm reading the tech section now. It does actually look easier than I thought, looking at it in the truck I had the completely wrong idea about how the pump attaches to the engine. Much easier to get to it than I thought it would be.

How hard is removing the water pump pulley? The last time I tried to remove a pulley was on my power steering pump, and nothing I tried got that thing off. I know the clutch is going to be special, but is the pulley going to be a fight too?

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome, this might not be so bad afterall. Rent the pneumatic fan removal tool, drive to a local shop with a 6 pack and borrow their air, pop the fan off, drive home, water pump R&R, drive back to the shop with another 6 pack, done deal.