Perhaps more of us should try this?

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, the only problem I see with long oil change intervals is that the IDIs have huge ring gaps. These huge ring gaps produce a lot of blowby.
As far as I can tell, you get lots of carbon in the oil. The oil itself is probably good for a long long time... if you can keep the carbon in suspension. If you get too much carbon, some will drop out resulting in sludge. How much is too much? I'm not sure. But I've also seen IDI heads where they were obviously run past that point... with lots of oil sludge/carbon debris on top of the heads where oil slowly flows.
Also, I'm convinced that you really want to keep the oil going through your lifters clean of much of anything... every old lifter I've taken apart has had a heavy layer of crud on the check ball inside, which may prevent it from seating correctly and either allowing the lifter to soak up more of the cam lobe, or "pump up" and cause problems there.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Would have been nice if they sent me the gasket.

Bloody hell. Guess I'll see if an old 1995 gasket fits around the edge. Almost certain it was mispackaged or something, gonna send the place I bought it from an email...

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
done this extended deal years ago already still going strong today. great that oil changes last me 5 years minimum now that eye have done the research in the past. learned much about saving a dollar buy buying a product that performs just as it is advertised. Eye would never downgrade from the top especially when it is cheaper than anything mentioned purchased and used here that eye have read. if a $250 oil changed lasted me 5 years and 47,000 in my IDI and my oil sample reads like this and the engine looks like this, eye think eye dotted all my eyes and crossed all my tees even own a tee-shirt

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was so strange when I moved from an idit to a 7.3 powerstroke. Completely draining the oil when I did the oil cooler my oil was black in my 190k idit motor in 100 miles. When I changed the oil in my 290k psd the oil was still amber colored until 3500 miles. I actually posted on the forum asking if something was wrong. I'm running synthetic 5w40 now and at 4. 5k and it's just barely started to turn from amber. I am definitely going to try one of the synthethetic media filters next change and run redline as I think I can get to 10k between changes in the psd

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I got my filters in with gaskets finally after some ups issues and whatnot with the company I had ordered from. Honest mistake on their part but still frustrating as I could have done this already but..

Going to install it tomorrow with a fresh bypass filter and measure just what my oil capacity is up to for the engine now once it and the bypass filter are filled. I'm thinking 14 quarts but it might be 15. I'll post pictures after the filter is installed as to how well it fit and take a picture beside a 1995 for kicks.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Well there's a size comparison for one if anyone was interested. Pretty much the same size as the FL-1995 but it is a little bit taller.

It holds exactly this much from a 4 quart jug:

And This is how it fits under the truck, it doesn't actually touch anything once it's screwed on the whole way but it's close. My truck is also a 2 wheel drive. It is getting closer to the metal that you'll see in the bottom left of the picture, but it still has around a half inch clearance versus about 3/4 an inch that the old filter had, but it never even got a scratch on the bottom so I don't anticipate this one having any issues but I'm gonna keep an eye on it. I obviously don't do much off roading in this truck haha.. Also, I sprayed brake cleaner on the filter and wiped it off to get the oil off of the side of it while I was tightening it up, and I wiped all the labels right off of it. Ha.

And here's the oil after a hundred mile trip. I can for sure say before the bypass filter and this bigger filter this would not have been this clear. It is doing something for sure. I can't say which part is more effective, but it's honestly probably both filters working as a team more then 80% one and 20% the other. When I added the bypass I was half-way through an oil change and had a 1995 already on the truck so I never got to see what the bypass would have done with a 1995 with fresh oil.

It was hard for the camera to focus and flash at night, but that's actually pretty brown in real life and definitely very clear even if it does lean more towards a black tone then brown. It just looks clean and I'd never see that even after a 30-50 mile oil change before I did all of this.

7400 miles to go! (Maybe..) We'll see how it looks as I drive it.

Truck also now takes 13 quarts of oil and maybe another half, wasn't perfectly flat when I checked it but it was close. Either way it's at least 13 for the overall system capacity now.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like stated before, visual appearances of diesel engine oil really doesn't mean squat, unless your engine is completely packed with sludge or you've blown a head gasket.
When my bro used to change his oil he would dump in & waste a quart of fresh oil while it was draining, claiming that it gets all the dirty oil out and keeps the new oil cleaner longer cookoo. I eventually convinced him it doesn't matter how it looks.
An oil sample will tell you how long you can go on current engine oil. Depend on that information if you want to run it longer than the recommended oil change interval. It'll tell you everything you need to know about the engine & lifespan of oil being used.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I know it won't mean squat until I have an oil analysis done after 7-8k miles or so, but this is after 934 miles on the fresh change and when I've been changing my oil every 3500, I'd always check it at 1000 roughly to make sure it wasn't eating any. I can say one thing, it would have looked like absolute hell from a comparison standpoint with what it looks like now. Even with the light on the dipstick you'd be hard pressed to find the marks on the stick and by 2000 it wasn't possible.

We'll find out for sure once I get to roughly 7500, but that will be a while. Unless it stays this warm and non winter like in the northeast...

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take a look at fleetgaurd lf9027. Same size, but it's a Venturi combo filter. Built in bypass filtration on a full flow main filter. No need to run a separate setup. Little more expensive, but cool nonetheless. I run its big brother the 9691 on my power stroke. It's a little too big for the idi,but the 9027 fits great