Over charging??

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
I exploded a fss on an IP due to a bad ground on the regulator that was determined the cause of the overcharging. I'll second what Chris said.

Black dawg

Reaction score
To be fair, all of the trouble that I have had is with aftermarket voltage regulators...even from ford. The best luck I had was snagging original motorcraft regulators (used) when I would find them.

Also, getting the 3g wiring harness from the serp belt trucks makes a super easy swap into the v belt trucks.

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
after rereading this thread,my truck is all stock 93" 7.3 n/a so ideally it should have a 3g alternator. Here is some pictures from my truck. P.s crappy view still innthr truck

You must be registered for see images attach

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went ahead and replaced the voltage regulator and the alternator again with new ones but its charging at 16.5 volts at idle and if you rev it. Seems it a bit high to me.
Is the body of the regulator grounded? I ran an extra ground to mine. If that's OK unplug the regulator. If it stops charging get another one. If its still charging with it unplugged you have an electrical problem.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There isn't anything wrong with the 70a charging system unless your using lots of power for a winch,lights etc. The problem is getting parts that stay working. That can also be an issue with the 3g alternator.

Plus with the v belt setup if you smoked a belt you have others to run the water pump to get you to the next exit. That's not an option with the serpentine setup.

Dieselpowerking

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the body of the regulator grounded? I ran an extra ground to mine. If that's OK unplug the regulator. If it stops charging get another one. If its still charging with it unplugged you have an electrical problem.

Got it fixed one of the new negative battery terminals was loose went ahead and put a different kind on and it fixed the problem. Never trust new parts.....