Opinions wanted on my 1983 3+3 2wd 6.2L diesel pickem up

crazytwo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought this truck about a dozen years ago. I had it towed to my place and dumped. I think it's a GMC but might be a Chevy. 3/4 ton, 6.2L diesel, 4 speed manual with granny low. I've never started it. I might want to get it on the road but don't want to spend tons of cash doing it. The condition is fair so it's probably not worth very much. I just need a truck to haul crap sometimes and would like to use alternative fuels. My V10 van kills me on fuel. Does the 6.2 handle different fuels OK? What kind of mileage would I get with straight diesel. I assume 4th gear is 1:1 so no overdrive. How much is the truck worth and do you think it's worth getting on the road?

Last edited:

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I would sure get it going.
My 79 c30 had the sm465 four speed with the same 1:1 fourth gear, 3.73 gears, I was getting high teens for mileage. Even down the highway.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the GM 6.2/6.5 will run on just about anything that is petroleum based. when it does finally coke up, the nozzles and precups are rebuildable and accessible for cleanout. my burb-o-matic eats just about everything :D

crazytwo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is good news. Are 6.2s difficult to work on? Are engine parts expensive?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is good news. Are 6.2s difficult to work on? Are engine parts expensive?
the valve covers are a bear to get to, but otherwise everything else is pretty easy. once you figure out how to get around certain items, it's child's play.

crazytwo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, so don't kill me for asking this. I found a K case TH700 that has been supposedly rebuilt. No verification on this and and not sure of the miles. There is no tail shaft or housing because it had a transfer case. It comes with a flex plate from a 6.2 and a TC from a 350. Asking price is $250. I know some are asking why go from stick to auto. It's because I find it too difficult to drink coffee, talk on the phone, shift and steer at the same time. Plus this would give me overdrive.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, so don't kill me for asking this. I found a K case TH700 that has been supposedly rebuilt. No verification on this and and not sure of the miles. There is no tail shaft or housing because it had a transfer case. It comes with a flex plate from a 6.2 and a TC from a 350. Asking price is $250. I know some are asking why go from stick to auto. It's because I find it too difficult to drink coffee, talk on the phone, shift and steer at the same time. Plus this would give me overdrive.
you're switching out from a reliable trans to a trans that is virtually guaranteed to self destruct when you least want it to. i'm getting rid of my thm 700 in my '85 and grafting in a 4L80E.

crazytwo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, I'll drink the coffee with my foot then. Sheesh, now I have to learn something new.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Heck, with a 4 speed, why are you shifting so often anyways???
I believe you should have the sm465 also, which in mine with 3.73's was good anywhere from 20 mph up.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 82 Burb and an 85 M1009 Blazer with 6.2s in them. The Burb has a 700 in it and gets higher 20s and the Blazer has 37" HMMV tires and a 400 tranny in it that gets about 25 mpg. I run the Blazer more and can pretty much run whatever in it. I just pour it in the huge fuel pipe, and drive. These vehicles are tough SOBs, and run well in all weather. The Blazer is a beast in Winter and can take a beating while burning all types of liquids.

The 700 was built in 87 to HD specs and I have the greatest confidence in it, and the one I have in my 89 GMC has well over 200K on it towing heavy loads around the country, and will handle deep snow and hot roads with ease. The trick is keeping the fluid cool and clean. I am a huge fan of the largest cooler possible and synthetic fluids with every change, and changing it with good frequency. Of course I always shift out of OD when working it hard or not in the range I like with the speed. Then the 89s tranny was a Goodwrench I put in after I bought the truck used with a crapped out stock tranny at 65K because of the previous owner's inability to take care of things.

The engines are easy to work on. The IP simple to change and other components as well. Heck, even the drive train has held up with the high gears and big tires. The engine won't win any races, but you can work the heck out of them and believe me when I say they can take a beating because until I got the F250 with the 6.9 and then the Dodge Cummins, the 6.2 was the farm work truck in my brother's GMC. And it worked hard.

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Parts for these are easy to come by from gov auctions. You can buy a crate with a complete engine for under $1000, no garuntee's but they typically have under 50K miles.

6.2/6.5's are normally easy starters w/ gear reduction starters and good glows with a push button override or 92-93 6.5L glow controller.

My 82 w/ 3.08 gears and a 700R4 tranny got 32mpg on multiple occasions and mid 20's when beating on it. Probably has 1mil on it 2nd engine and 3 tranny. Looking at getting a 82 C3500 w/ 4speed and putting a 5 speed NV4500 in it, goal is 20-25mpg w/ 3.42 gears.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online