Older Banks Turbo: Any Shortcomings?

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anybody have any thoughts on this generation of Banks turbo versus newer style, ATS or any other brand/style of IDI turbo? I have a line on one but I think it's pretty old and I was wondering if there are any shortcomings to this style system.

As always, any input is appreciated.

R. J.

Attachments

• banksintake.jpg
    banksintake.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 12

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Banks were always known as good turbos around here. I know of a couple early 6.9's running that same setup.
I always like the ATS kits though because they dont have the funky return line hose.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Banks were always known as good turbos around here. I know of a couple early 6.9's running that same setup.
I always like the ATS kits though because they dont have the funky return line hose.

Anybody want to comment on the "funky return line hose"?

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Anybody want to comment on the "funky return line hose"?

Ahh it's just a PITA to get set back in place when putting the turbo on. I found that separating the 2 pieces upon install makes it a bit easier.

Last edited:

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Only bad thing I can think of is that Banks is REALLY proud of their parts, so if you need up pipes or down pipes they are the only option, unless you can bend you own pipe. I had the same non wasted gated one on my 92 when I got it.(80K miles) then never had any problems with the turbo it's self until I sold it 100,000 miles later. I had to replace the down pipe, the up pipes, and the K&N air filter shrunk up to where it wouldn't seal well, so I adapted a paper filter instead.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Hey Ron, have you got your turbo rebuilt yet?

No.
Wife got laid off for a few weeks right at rally time and basically had to put all vehicle projects on a temporary holding pattern.:dunno

Although Dallas at Stateline Diesel, where I got the bearing kit from, said that he'd make things right with a rebuild since it sounds like I may have gotten some dirt into the bearings upon reassembly/restart. But he wants to mic it out to see how bad things got.;Sweet

So I can't wait to get that project going again but it looks like Goldie is gonna be N/A for awhile longer yet.
I can wait since I'm not really driving her much.