Old Rotomaster Turbo Kit

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
There was recently a listing locally (now expired) for an older Rotormaster turbo kit whet the turbo mounts on top of the manifold. If the guy had waited about a month to list it, I'd have been able to get it. I know they weren't the most efficient design...

But my questions are,

1. How much boost did they typically build?

2. How safe would it be to run one on an N/A 7.3L of unknown mileage and only stock head bolts?

3. Would the lower overall EGT's be negated by retrofitting said IDI with said kit?

4. Does it look like this one would've been worth the asking price?

Thumbnails...
You must be registered for see images attach

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
200.00 tops. Simple, 5-9 lbs and able to be modded.

That's about what I was looking for. I would feel sage doing that on my IDI without studding...or looking too far into the ticking under acceleration, which I suspect is a valve spring, rocker loosening up or a lifter.

That kinda looks like a turbo kit for a chevy diesel 6.2 or 6.5?

It's an early Ford kit that eventually became the Banks kit (and they moved the location).

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That exhaust manifold doesnt look like it will fit our trucks.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I don't believe that manifold is for a 6.2/6.5. I've seen an early Hypermax that looked similar to this. The mount for the turbo on top of the manifold was taller than this one IIRC. I also seem to remember it having Hypermax cast into it somewhere. It was on a 6.9.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
I doubt it would ever see enough heat for a cat iron mani to crack. If it ever did, preheating would be all it would need to weld it, then let it cool slow. I may still pick it up after we (potentially) pickup this powerstroke Excursion, IF he's still got it up for sale. That'll rewire at least a month and I don't start back to work until the 12th.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online