Old banks non wastegate turbo needs rebuild or replace

chumwon

Reaction score
I have the non wastegated ats and with my new pump and injectors I can see almost 20psi at a little over 3000 rpms. Fixing my exhaust leak pre turbo helped a lot before my pump instal I had like 6-7 psi max with n/a pump maxed out. Yes a downfall with a non gated turbo is later boost though but with everything I've done I can see about 5psi at 1500 rpms now used to be like 0 psi there before
I believe my pump is getting weak but im gonna have to see if I can figure out a way to seal up my y pipe better pre turbo to start with!

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The longer cross over pipe and at the manifold I used a tail pipe sealant from a auto parts store, I don't know how easy it's gonna be to get it off again but they said it's supposed to dry and act like a gasket not a glue so it theoretically should come off again when I want it to. With a stock pump I would imagine you should be able to hit about 10-12 psi at 3000rpms with pump maxed if everything is working properly. Sealing my uppipe was a world of difference and I didn't have a very big leak but could hear a slight exhaust 'ticking" sound so I knew it was leaking a little

chumwon

Reaction score
The longer cross over pipe and at the manifold I used a tail pipe sealant from a auto parts store, I don't know how easy it's gonna be to get it off again but they said it's supposed to dry and act like a gasket not a glue so it theoretically should come off again when I want it to. With a stock pump I would imagine you should be able to hit about 10-12 psi at 3000rpms with pump maxed if everything is working properly. Sealing my uppipe was a world of difference and I didn't have a very big leak but could hear a slight exhaust 'ticking" sound so I knew it was leaking a little
Well thank you for this info sir! I've had a small exhaust leak up there like you state at up pipe and didn't bother me. I also have gotten use to limited boost but im gonna be all over this now to seal it up then!!

77f250diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do yourself a favor and contact Typ4, he did my 1st. gen non wg Banks and the difference is amazing.
I had the compressor mod done and where I used to max at 8-10 lbs. I now peg my 15 lb. gauge with ease.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input guys. I might take it to the shop in El Monte and see what they say. going to do a little more research.

Does anyone know if I can add a waste gated turbo to this kit, or put a waisted gate on this turbo?
I can do a compressor mod that really wakes these turbos up. All other things being equal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight