Old banks non wastegate turbo needs rebuild or replace

Mr Clickety Clackety

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow grease balls. I am finally getting started on my baby and I need some assistance. I called Banks and they were no help.
Got an 87, 6.9l with a banks kit (pre sidewinder, no waste gate) and the turbo needs to be rebuilt. has shaft play.
I live in LA area. are there any reputable places I can take this too?

I don't know if I should ditch the whole kit and upgrade to something better??? or is this kit good. (Not looking to win races or go fast, just want extra power when towing.

Thank you for your time. I'll try to upload pics soon.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I have heard the older kits are still good with performance.

if you do want to upgrade to a sidewinder kit I will have a used one for sale soon.

Mr Clickety Clackety

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks no mufflers. depending on how much you want to let it go for I'm interested.

Just got off the phone with a place in El Monte. they quoted me $450 to $650 pending inspection.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the key issue with the older banks kits is the uppipes are very transmission specific. is this a turbo that came off your truck or are you putting one on?

Mr Clickety Clackety

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I purchased he truck disassembled. I am pretty sure this kit was run on the truck as it has all the guages installed. but it could have been in the process of being installed.

Unfortunately my coworker whom I purchased it from is MIA

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I jst had mine rebuilt by Typ4. For$650, he did some mods to get more boost and get it earlier. Unfortunately, it will be a while before I can get it installed to give a report card. It sounded like it would be less for just a stock rebuild.

shawn deere

So many wrenches, so little time...
Reaction score
I just put a wicked wheel 2 compressor wheel on an ats and im in love.
Although it had a massive exhaust leak pre turbo so i dont have a good before and after, but im still recommending it if you got an extra $230 layin around...

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just put a wicked wheel 2 compressor wheel on an ats and im in love.
Although it had a massive exhaust leak pre turbo so i dont have a good before and after, but im still recommending it if you got an extra $230 layin around...
Did you have the ats 088?

shawn deere

Reaction score
Did you have the ats 088?
I do believe thats what it is. Its waste gated. Got it diss armed tho:Thumbs Up
Before the clutch went south it seems the waste gate spring held it at 12-13 psi boost. Thats an assumption based on the boost gauge needle is nice and smooth until it got up to 12-13 then it started fluttering real bad.
Crusing at 60 i now have 2-3 psi boost. At 1850 rpm i believe
(What ever zf5 in od is for rpm)
And i can now hear a turbo wistle:rock:. But also upgraded exhaust at the same time. (PO had an upgraded 3" down pipe crammed to 2.5" single exhaust:***:). I went 5" after the down pipe:cool:

chumwon

Reaction score
I have the first gen banks kit on my 92 7.3. It came with the truck when I started rebuilding it so I don't know actual performance differences but the non wastegated feature is its major down fall. With the IP tweaked I'll get 8 psi max but that unfortunately is at 3000+rpms due to no Watergate... it also doesnt start to build boost til about 2000rpms..that's my only issue other then that it has good power. Id get a Watergated one if i could for better low rpm boost. Just my .02 cents on it!

shawn deere

Reaction score
I have the first gen banks kit on my 92 7.3. It came with the truck when I started rebuilding it so I don't know actual performance differences but the non wastegated feature is its major down fall. With the IP tweaked I'll get 8 psi max but that unfortunately is at 3000+rpms due to no Watergate... it also doesnt start to build boost til about 2000rpms..that's my only issue other then that it has good power. Id get a Watergated one if i could for better low rpm boost. Just my .02 cents on it!
Mine acted the same exact way. But it was due to the Y pipe leaking soo bad before the turbo.

Mr Clickety Clackety

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input guys. I might take it to the shop in El Monte and see what they say. going to do a little more research.

Does anyone know if I can add a waste gated turbo to this kit, or put a waisted gate on this turbo?

chumwon

Reaction score
Mine acted the same exact way. But it was due to the Y pipe leaking soo bad before the turbo.
Hmmmm it is just a slip over pipe...I wonder if it could help. Now only if I can get to it!
Thanks for all the input guys. I might take it to the shop in El Monte and see what they say. going to do a little more research.

Does anyone know if I can add a waste gated turbo to this kit, or put a waisted gate on this turbo?

I was just gonna throw a different turbo that came wastegated and run it once mine goes bad. Just keep it under 10psi or your asking for trouble down the road!

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
looking at the pic you posted the kit is totally different then the sidewinder kit. I don't think any other turbo would fit but I could be wrong.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the non wastegated ats and with my new pump and injectors I can see almost 20psi at a little over 3000 rpms. Fixing my exhaust leak pre turbo helped a lot before my pump instal I had like 6-7 psi max with n/a pump maxed out. Yes a downfall with a non gated turbo is later boost though but with everything I've done I can see about 5psi at 1500 rpms now used to be like 0 psi there before

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online