ok a few questions about this 12v

bigoilburner19

Reaction score
ok so im getting 15 mpgs and 250 miles to a tank not good and my fuel gauge is bad and I need to fix it for one.... but the guy on here that sent a link to it i cant even tell what he is talking about in the pics.so question two how can i get better mpgs? The fitch fuel catalyst seems to help most people but what else can i do to get more outta that truck and would my valves being out of adjustment have a big prob with that. and on my water pump a 160xxx miles would you think it would go out soon or last a lot longer? I'm not sure just wprried alot about this truck considering where it came from..:sly

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I did a write up on fixing the non working fuel sender problems that plague the 2nd gen dodges >>> CLICK HERE

Now for the MPG problem...

can we have some specs on the truck.

Like auto trans or manual?
2wd or 4wd?

I doubt the valves needing adjustment will help or hinder your mileage.

The water pump should be good for another 100k or so - I didn't do a replacement until well into 200k I think it was actually really really close to 300k... if memory serves. It's it's not leaking or squalling then enjoy it - these motors are built to last along with the acc that they bolt to them.

One of the things to look at also is tire pressures and wear patterns. An under inflated tire will suck more MPG.

Also look at your air filter.

If you have an auto trans with 4wd I would say that 15 mpg is probably hitting about right.... I had a 2wd with a manual tranny and she was hitting 22 on a daily basis, and a buddy has a 99 4wd with auto trans and if he gets 17 he about calls me up bragging and all happy. I seriously doubt his truck could get 20 if it fell off a cliff because of the slush box and those non disengaging front axles that Dodge installed in the 2nd gen trucks. Yep they only disengage the passengers side not the drivers side....

bigoilburner19

Reaction score
well ok its a 4x4 with a auto tranny but the tranny has been bored out so no slush omatic here it goes in gear liek boom boom boom over drive lol and it shifts real hard.but its a 8000 dollar tranny anyway.and my air filter is clean but its a k and n and the valves need adjusted any way. so will anything i do like big cold air intake would it help or no