Oil Temp Problems 6.0

Weber Auto

Reaction score
Maybe someone else has ran into this problem with the oil temp @229 deg and the coolant temp is @189 deg. I changed the oil cooler and no change in oil temp, i use a ford oil filter, i flushed the block and drained it, coolant was fine comming out of the sides of the block at the drain plugs, checked for cavitation behind the water pump and that was fine, installed a new water pump and my oil temp is the same. I have a EGR deletion on this engine, i believe its a sinester kit. The truck will not start after its shut down at operating temp but after 20 to 30 minutes it will start, the oil pressure is to low to fire the injectors so i know the oil temp is taking out the O rings on the oil rails. Have a great Holiday and a Happy New Year

Newman

Reaction score
Slooooow down for a second... How are you reading oil temp?

What year is your truck? Do you have the updated STC fitting?

Newman

Reaction score
My 05 lost the STC at 60K miles. It is a very common failure. I would fix that and see what your oil temps do.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Sorry for hijacking this thread, but i have a question, where is this STC? I always thought this engine runs a little hotter than the other years diesel I have, I can't back this with actual #'s but when I open the hood (specially summer) everything feels just hot yet I don't pull any codes when I scan it.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
EZ

I am with you, I am not sure what an STC is.... But I do know the HPOP is High Pressure Oil Pump. It is located in the valley and is what is used to bring up the engine oil presure to the injectors, to fire the injector. It can be up to almost 4000psi on a full throttle, heavy load condition.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Wow, good thing this truck doesn't give Me any trouble I bet the day it does I'll wish it was an IDI or a first gen.

I'm thinking I should add a tranny cooler with fan too.

bismic1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
STC - snap-to-connect fitting and it is on the discharge of the high pressure oil pump. The design was changed to include this fitting in 2005. It has proven to be a weak point.