oil coolers

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
The turbo cooler has more fins per inch in the bundle. This allows for better heat transfer.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The above is correct but more needs to be said about the turbo coolers.. they are the ONLY cooler bundle available today for both turbo and non turbo idi engines. Thats a good thing too. Some early 6.9 cooler bundles had 6 o rings and as many have said.. those o rings are no longer available. I often wonder why a person just can't make o rings for these few early coolers.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dieselorings.com used to supply them for the 6.9 early, but I don't see them listed anymore. Anyone needing them should contact them.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I feel Russ is correct but... I was reading it might be 31...I just do not know.. But I do know we are stuck with ONLY the high capacity cooler bundle.. And that's not a problem. We are all happy with more...
Anybody ever try to actually count the fins????

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But I do know we are stuck with ONLY the high capacity cooler bundle.. And that's not a problem. We are all happy with more...

So are you saying that the available NEW replacement oil coolers are the turbo version with more fins? Is this just the Motorcraft replacements or should the Dorman coolers also be the turbo version? My oil cooler recently started leaking and it would be great to upgrade the cooling capacity.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
So are you saying that the available NEW replacement oil coolers are the turbo version with more fins? Is this just the Motorcraft replacements or should the Dorman coolers also be the turbo version? My oil cooler recently started leaking and it would be great to upgrade the cooling capacity.
Best I can tell you is the maker felt keeping one type was cheaper for inventory needs. Many parts or gasket makers felt upgrading to include many applications was cheaper than keeping different parts on shelves. Look at most full gasket kits. they generally come with several different gaskets for the same part. Look at our overhaul gasket kits. they have the oil cooler header gaskets foe both van and truck applications.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online

No members online now.