Odd running to not running issue.....

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sounds similar to what I went through..... were are you getting you alts?

Here is how mine went:

Factory Alt ~7 years 80,000 miles
1st rebuild (NAPA) - 2 Weeks 200 miles
2nd rebuild (NAPA) - 1 Week 100 miles
3rd New (NAPA) - 1.5 Years 20,000 miles
4th Rebuild (BOSCH from NAPA) - 1+ years and 9000 miles (Still on truck and working fine)

I would suspect the alternator..... the 6.0's are ******* batteries....... they take alot of power to run......

WOW!!!

I have dual alternators, neither one has given me fits..... 150k+ miles since '03... only owner. I've got the 4x4 Camper Special.

Check this out, have you heard about the trip meter reset? I haven't done it yet, but will try tonight when I get home.

It goes something like this:

Before turning on the ignition, press and hold the trip meter reset, then turn the truck to on, while holding it down. Supposedly it resets the computer, unlike the battery cable reset. It also flashes last time computer was reset and possibly codes.

Have you heard of this???

I'm hoping it doesn't do a James Bond fragging of the system!! :dunno At this point, I'll try anything that doesn't cost me a grand up front!!

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
It doesn't reset the computer, or do anything like that ... It is a test of the instrument cluster, it cycles through the tests on the cluster, and shows the various input, like the tach, the MPH, fuel level, and will show any codes. I have done this before.... if you do a search for:

tac1200

It also has all the info on what the readout tells you... I am going to go try this, and see if I have any codes that it sees.... not sure it will..... but it might......

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It doesn't reset the computer, or do anything like that ... It is a test of the instrument cluster, it cycles through the tests on the cluster, and shows the various input, like the tach, the MPH, fuel level, and will show any codes. I have done this before.... if you do a search for:

tac1200

It also has all the info on what the readout tells you... I am going to go try this, and see if I have any codes that it sees.... not sure it will..... but it might......

Thanks for the response and link.

I need to do it anyway, my speedo is totally pegged at start up. It only backs off as I increase speed.... my compass also has fits, hopefully this will at least solve that issue.... of course I was hoping for a twofer.