Obs parking brake pedal not returning

burt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I havent dug into it much yet but my ebrake peddle isn't returning without lifting it manually. Is the peddle assembly serviceable? Seems to work fine otherwise. 92 f350 4x4 manual. Thanks

burt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking it must be but I can't see anything obviously wrong with it. Being all riveted together it's pretty hard to take apart and see what's going on in there.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I've never tried to do that either. That's just the first thing that popped into my head when I read your post. After almost learning a lesson the hard way, I now just assume that the parking brake doesn't work on my old trucks and don't even try to use it.

burt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha. Mine generally don't work well either but I'm so in the habit of using it it's real annoying. Go figure this one works pretty good otherwise. Thanks for the response

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you sure the rear cables are returning when you pull up on the pedal? IIRC the return action of the pedal itself is very weak, it really depends on the return springs of the shoes pulling on the cables. So if both cables are seized, or the front cable is, I could see it affecting the pedal return.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with the above. On my son's OBS, the front cable has broken under the cab, at that little "connector". I bumped the E-Brake pedal today getting in, and noticed the red BRAKE! light on the dash was on. I had to pull the pedal back up to get the light to go off. There is very little, if any "return" to the spring in the pedal assembly under the dash.

burt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. The e brake does engage when the peddle is down and disengage when up. I took the peddle assembly out to see if I could figure it out and it doesn't spring when disconnected. Seems like it's gonna be a ***** to get it back in with getting the cable on. I didn't check anything on the rear end tho. Guess that's next. Peddle assembly is relatively not hammered looking and I did brakes not to long ago. Thanks

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine does this too. It broke the cables shortly after. I rigged them back together somehow back under the bed of the truck and have some bungee cord looking super thick rubber bands hold the e brake pedal up when disengaged to the lever you pull to disengage it.

burt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It doesn't spring on the bench with no cable on it. I guess I'm still not sure if it's supposed to

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I recall correctly, the springs are on the cables that go to the drum brakes in the rear. These pull on the cable which in turn pulls on the parking brake pedal. All of the pulling keeps the brake shoes away form the brake drums (released).

burt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks. I need to look at the brake itself to see what's going on. The pedal assembly looks like it's in good condition so if it's not supposed to spring on it's own I guess I'm barking up the wrong tree

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online

No members online now.