OB group tour to the BB Iowa?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
couple of local area families are thinking about going to Richmond harbor to tour the BB Iowa before she's towed to LA harbor for restoration and display. Due to people having to get time off requests in, the date this is going to happen is not up for consensus this time. We will be heading from SJC to Richmond on Sunday April 1st. I figured I'd open this to everyone who is interested. Below is a pic of her squeezing through the Panama canal.

Attachments

• uss iowa canal.jpg
    uss iowa canal.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 114

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, that is a tight squeeze. They won't let me aboard anyhow, my eyes are always glassie.•
Visitors appearing to be intoxicated will be denied boarding.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am definitely in ;Sweet time-off request is confirmed!

What time are we looking at? Looks like she's open from 1000 to 1600...

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Tromped around the Missouri 12 years ago at Pearl. Those big guns are a sight to see up close. :sly

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
I wish I could Tim but I'm spending enough on our rally as it is. :(
It would be sweet to be able to step foot onto two different Iowa class battleships.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wow.
it's big. and it needs alot of work. they group working on restoring her has their task cut-out for them.
if you live out on the east coast, you should go check out the New Jersey and Wisconsin(NJ and VA locations)
The Missouri is in Hawaii. Here's some pics of the current condition of the Iowa and my '92 as a size reference.
You must be registered for see images attach

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
my dad sold a lathe where he works (govliquidation) that turned a lot of the large guns and prop shafts for the navy battle ships. it was in the naval machine shop in Watervliet,NY

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I was wondering how that event worked out. Thanks for the great pics. Sad to see a ship like this needing so much work. I think this is the only battle ship in the Iowa class that had a cordite explosion in the open barrel. The blast killed all in the turret and the flooding of the magizine drowned around 75 more. Turns out someone was packing the cordite wrong in the silk bags and it was rubbing on other cordite.... There is a viedo of this actually happening somewhere.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our QMC (Qhartermaster chief petty officer for non navy types) passed her twice when she was in tow to Long Beach. He was onboard the USS Decatur and they passed BB-61 when they were going into SF and she was outbound and then again as both were heading into the Long Beach area. He didn't get any pictures though unfortunately....

Impressive ships for sure.

crazytwo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw the ship being towed out just before it got to the GGB. I wondered which ship it was?

The Missouri is in Hawaii because the wusses in SF didn't want a warship there.