No power inside of cab

Sam7.3

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 1992 f250 with a 7.3 to swap the transmission into my crew cab. Due to sh*t i cant work on pulling the trans so i decided to try to get it to start and drive it till i have time to pull the trans. I put a battery in it and tested the voltage of the battery, power going into the starter relay and power in the fuse box inside the cab. The headlights/taillights work but nothing else inside works (dash lights, ignition, dome lights, horn, etc) what could be causing this problem?? any help is greatly appreciated and thank you in advance for your help.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look at the fuse box, located on the firewall, driver''s side. Water from the windshield can leak down onto the fuse panel and corrode the connections. Clean them and try again.

Sam7.3

Reaction score
The headlights and dash lights run off the same fuse but only the headlights work, I thinking maybe the wires going to the ignition are chewed up or something

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look at page 13 in this link http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/Wd/DownloadPdf?id=9231 You can see the low beams are fed by a 40 amp fuse in the underhood fuse box.

You should be able to figure out what is going on from the link above. There is a lot of info in there on the power distribution, I would poke around that underhood fuse box. Lots of fuses to burn out in there(big ones).

Sam7.3

Reaction score
I found out the column is not getting power due to a newer 90s model coulmn having different plugs and not working on the factory plug. Now I need to find a wiring diagram so I can wiring the new plugs into the factory plug. Every time I try to upload a picture it fails. Basically the column is from a 95 f150 and the truck is a 92 f250 and the plug won't match up

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Um... not sure what you mean by the column. On the steering column on my '93, I have a 4-pin connector which drives the horn and cruise buttons(not critical), as well as the plug for the ignition switch(important).
I think there's also another connector for the multi function switch(turn signals, wipers).
If it's the 4-pin connector, don't worry about it for now - it's not important.
The ignition switch and it's massive block of connections is the important one for now. If you can't plug that in, I'd just try to get a new ignition switch to match your current plug, they aren't that expensive IIRC.

The turn signal one, it shouldn't be critical for starting/running, but important later.

The 4-pin connector is low priority, but I can definitely help you with the wire colors on mine - I ended up with a different steering column off of some other year truck which had a different connector, but the same wires.

Sam7.3

Reaction score
Marcoobb, I have the same problem different year steering column. I can email you the picture I took but for some reason I can't upload it to here. The steering column has the same 2 plugs as my brothers 1994 f150 and the Truck I have ,1992, has a single plug.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just use one of those free image hosting sites, then post the link here.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That connector on the truck side is ONLY horn, cruise control, and I believe one wire goes to the key to make that dinging noise if you leave the key in the ignition.
All non-critical, and not what your main problem is.

Sam7.3

Reaction score
So where can I look to figure out my problem? None of the fuses are blown.

Sam7.3

Reaction score
Now I have a bigger problem, I took off the air filter to get to the glow plug relay and found out some squirrels have throw a party inside my engine compartment without my consent. They chewed on some wires, does anyone have a full wiring diagram of the whole truck? 1992 f250 with a 7.3

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a PDF I found of /91/ schematics:
http://www.wiring-wizard.com/Diagrams/91_ford_pickup-f350_complete.pdf

Unfortunately, that's more like my 88; my 93 has different wiring.

Um... if you pick up a Chilton manual for the truck, it has decent amount of wiring diagrams.

Also, I've been able to go to the local Ford dealer and stop in at their parts counter. They can pull up /some/ wiring diagrams and print off copies for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight