no leaks, but my 7.3 won't start

86ford7.3

Reaction score
[1986 F350 XL Single Cab Dually, 7.3 IDI non-turbo, 5-spd man.]

My truck all of a sudden started idling really rough about a month ago, then didn't do it again till a few days ago, now it won't stay running longer than about 10-15 seconds

I replaced all the O-rings on the fuel injectors and a couple bad return lines... no leaks there; I even added a in-line electronic fuel pump made for diesel (by mr. gasket, bought from Advance Auto)

while i do suspect the lift pump is bad, the electronic pump is definitely sending fuel to the filter..

so no leaks and fuel is definitely getting to the engine...

any suggestions ???

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Fuel to the filter is good but depending on how the return side is plummed it could still be sucking air....It happened to me on my 92 when I replaced the 460 with the 6.9....My advice - replace all the return lines everywhere on the engine. In the short term some clear vinyl line on the in/out lines at the fuel filter while let you see if you have air intrusion....Worked for me....When it die's after 10-15 seconds is the fuel filter empty???

86ford7.3

Reaction score
Fuel to the filter is good but depending on how the return side is plummed it could still be sucking air....It happened to me on my 92 when I replaced the 460 with the 6.9....My advice - replace all the return lines everywhere on the engine. In the short term some clear vinyl line on the in/out lines at the fuel filter while let you see if you have air intrusion....Worked for me....When it die's after 10-15 seconds is the fuel filter empty???

yeah, usually when i pull it off, the fuel level in the filter is around the bottom