Newbie with questions

barry

Reaction score
I just got an '83 GMC 3/4 with the 6.2
I don't know much about them....yet.
I drove it and it was quciker than I expected, not as quick as my boss's 6.0 powerstoke but it didn't cost me $50,000.

Any easy performance upgrades that are cheap?

What is the weight of a 6.2?

What were the factory power ratings of an '83 6.2?

Anything that I SHOULD KNOW about them being a new 6.2 owner.

I got it cheap, it's ugly but it has the DANA 60/70, t400, NP208, all good stuff.
It has newer starter, alt, glow plugs, injectors, electric feul pump insted of mechanical, radiator, tranny cooler, shocks, tires, brakes, and a nunch of new filters, ac pump,condesor,R/D, extra used set of heads, injector pump, new set of 1 ton steering parts, and a bunch of other small stuff.
truck has 340,000KM on odometer and 115,000 miles on engine.

Tell me anything you what about them, I wanna learn about these

barry

Reaction score
Looking at some other posts, it seems as though the 6.2 is what it is and forget about peformance upgrades unless I want problems. I was wondering about adding a K&N or the likes. The truck has dual 2" exhaust, if I want to add a pyro gauge I guess I need 2 then.
How do you tell if the "pump" has been turned up?

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Barry, welcome to oilburners. I dont know squat about the 6.2L but if you are patient towcat or dieseldummy will be in soon and they are ****'s with the old GM's.

Again, welcome to OB.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just got an '83 GMC 3/4 with the 6.2
I don't know much about them....yet.
I drove it and it was quciker than I expected, not as quick as my boss's 6.0 powerstoke but it didn't cost me $50,000.

Any easy performance upgrades that are cheap?

What is the weight of a 6.2?

What were the factory power ratings of an '83 6.2?

Anything that I SHOULD KNOW about them being a new 6.2 owner.

I got it cheap, it's ugly but it has the DANA 60/70, t400, NP208, all good stuff.
It has newer starter, alt, glow plugs, injectors, electric feul pump insted of mechanical, radiator, tranny cooler, shocks, tires, brakes, and a nunch of new filters, ac pump,condesor,R/D, extra used set of heads, injector pump, new set of 1 ton steering parts, and a bunch of other small stuff.
truck has 340,000KM on odometer and 115,000 miles on engine.

Tell me anything you what about them, I wanna learn about these
Firstly-
welcome to the site;Sweet You'll find that we are a little more "laid back" compared to many others. difference is, there is a mix of "fleet mech" and "hi-po" hanging out here. I work in both camps:D My first diesel experience was with the 6.2 and it fell off the cliff from there.:eek:
secondly-
you own a 6.2. congratulations. Its a diesel. Good part is that thanks to to US gov't, there's alot of surplus stuff that you can get for it to keep it alive. Bad part is, it doesn't take much to kill it to the point where its going to get very expensive to bring it back to life.
Two things you can do to keep the odds in your favor.
one.
get a pyro(or two) to keep an eye on things. The fastest indicator of things going south is your EGT's.
two.
overhaul or/and upgrade your cooling system. If there is a serious weak spot in the early motors, the cooling system is it. IF and only IF you can, the latest dual thermostat retrofit is the best way to start. If you have the earlier AC system in the way and the early type IP in the way, the dual thermostat cooling system is alot tougher to make work. The next best thing to do is the adapt the early turbo 6.5 cooling system in place of the 6.2na system. I can post pics in a few days if you don't know what to look for. Just let me know.
As far as the weight is concerned, the 6.2/6.5 is the lightest of all US mfg V-8 diesels. (5.7 not included) They are just shy of 1000lbs fully dressed.
The easiest way to tell if your pump is "turned up" is by flooring it and checking the black smoke output. None=its pretty much stock. A little=somebody was smart enough to keep it from thermonuclear meltdown. If you can't see the cars for a half mile behind you= the previous owner was wanting to experiment on melting aluminum pistons. Bottom line, if you want to mess with your feul rate screw, GET A PYRO(or two). If you exceed 1250deg, its time for a new motor. Simple.
Want more power? Get a turbo kit and a intercooler :D Ironically enough, much of the stuff the Ford IDI gang does, is very applicable for the GM IDI. Learn from their meltdowns:D There's two turbo kits avalible, factory GM or Banks. Unfortunately, both turbos in the kits suck eggs. These motors respond very well to bigger turbos;Sweet
The rest of your powertrain will hold up to the mods, so work on keeping your motor happy. Check out the 6.5 forum for the stupid fast stuff too. Much of that stuff will work on the 6.2:thumbsup:
good luck! and post often with questions!!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726