[newbie] Smokin' like a Son of a Gun (w/pic)

Black dawg

Reaction score
how does the engine sound.. loud...quiet? If an injector was sticking open, it would have some extra knocking and sound bad (unless they all are leakers).

nitroguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome advice, thanks guys. I'll keep it all in mind. For the time being, so long as nothing's on the brink of demolition, I'll drive it for a bit. I really don't have the time or mental space to put tons of effort into it.

I drove it again a few hours later in the day, and it didn't smoke hardly at all. Perhaps it's just really sensitive to cold? (man, if so, that doesn't bode well for winter in Montana...)

For now, I'll try plugging it in at night and start saving for injectors and a Moose Pump. All said and done - what's that going to run cost wise? $800 installed?

And BlackDawg - Honestly, I'm not sure what "extra" sounds like. Compared to my 2.3L inline four Ford Ranger engine, it sounds VERY clackity. I'm still working of developing a "baseline" of what this truck is. I think for the time being I'll drive it, develop that base line, then start tinkering.

Thanks again all. Much appreciated.

73idi88f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i didnt see anyone ask how long it smokes for.. mine smokes for about 5min or better till it starts to get warmed up.'

mine smokes tons more then that on the first start on a 25* day with only glow plugs and the starter.

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it goes away i wouldn't worry to much about it. My truck does the same thing whenever its cold. As soon as the exhaust warms um it goes away.

You must be registered for see images

This is a really old picture of my truck from right after i bought it. The stacks aren't there anymore

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also to add to what i already posted. I think the major factor on how much it smokes is the temperature of the exhaust pipes. In my picture you will notice the left side is smoking less. Well the left side is closer to where the pipe came up through the bed. Every time I fired it up the passenger side stack would stop smoking before the driver side. This is also why i think it just has to do with the temperature of your exhaust pipes.

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
Nitro,
I live south of you in Portland just off 205, Depending on your route, you could stop by here on your way out and I can check your timing and give it a "once over" with a set of "trained" ears. I have the snap on timing adapter and dont trust it a whole lot but it is far better than nothing and at least gives a base line. Ironically my truck does the same thing as yours and is at 155k. Im gonna do a pump and injectors and double check the compression.

I am a diesel tech with ford certifications if that helps.

punk

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
Now, I'm not really clear. Had you run on your rear tank before the smoking started?

And how old is the fuel in that tank?

Have you switched back to the front tank to see if that stops it?